[Cwgrad-announcements] Opportunity for study abroad

rrussin at ucr.edu rrussin at ucr.edu
Sun Nov 25 19:39:54 PST 2007

Hi, all--

This was sent to me by Russell Valentino, a friend who
specializes in Eastern European studies. Let me know if any of
you are interested, I'll put you in touch with him.

Robin

This summer I'll co-direct a three-week workshop with Robin
Hemley, who directs the non-fiction MFA program at the
University of Iowa. It will be a joint translation-nonfiction
overseas workshop for 6 hours of graduate credit, and we'll
spend our time just across the way from Venice--about one week
on the Slovenian coast, with visits to Trieste, Ljubljana, and
the vicinity, and about two weeks in Rovinj, with visits to
Pula, Porec, Venice (!), and the Istrian interior. It will be
a workshop setting, with group sessions in the mornings,
individual sessions in the afternoons, and occasional day
trips and half-day trips.

We'll be running an ad in Poets and Writers in the coming
weeks, so some of you might see it there, or elsewhere as we
send out the announcement to various lists. If you know anyone
who might be interested or if you'd like to get an e-brochure,
let me know and I'll send it along.

This is the fourth Overseas Writing Workshop that Robin will
have run (forgive the future anterior): the others were in the
Phillipines, France, and, last year, Hong Kong/Macao. We're
hoping to keep up the positive reviews, or even improve on them.