[Cwgrad-announcements] Grad and Diversity issues

rrussin at ucr.edu rrussin at ucr.edu
Tue Nov 20 21:11:00 PST 2007

FYI -- what I sent to Chris--

Hi Chris--

Good to hear from you.

Since the "diversity summit" was an open forum and
university-wide, as grad advisor on the THEA end I thought I'd
simply pass along some of what I learned and what were some of
the suggestions presented. Both Dean Cullenberg and Rabenstein
are very impressed with our program, and anxious to help us to
improve even further, especially in regard to diversity
recruitment.

I'm more than happy to meet with you or the other faculty to
discuss; though I've found that trying to coordinate such
meetings (which I labored mightily to do last year, with
limited success) can be like herding cats. Andrew and I have,
over the years, discussed ways to improve recruitment and
outreach, and I know he's worked very hard on his end of
things, as have I. But we've never managed to really sit down
and get it done in a coordinated fashion. Maybe this will
present an opportunity.

In any event, this was just to make some suggestions, nothing
will be acted on until we have an agreement on what we all
would like to do. I don't at all mean to obligate anyone else
or speak out of turn. I'm very sensitive to the fact that CW
has some different issues and objectives than THEA.

Please let me know if you'd like to get together.

Robin