[Cwgrad-announcements] Grad and Diversity issues

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Mon Nov 19 15:10:17 PST 2007

Hi all--

Just got back from NY in time to go to the Grad diversity meeting
this morning, which covered a lot of interesting territory.

A few points, in brief:

I will be proposing that I and other faculty in the MFA try to visit
other campuses with the aim of recruiting, and with an eye to
diversity. Dean Rabenstein has said he may be able to help fund this
at least in part.

Erith and I have spoken about an MFA get together before the end of
term, especially for those who will be involved in playworks. I would
welcome any such plans on your part as well, such as Carly's open
house this past fall.

We encourage you, the students, to get the word out to your undergrad
alma maters as well-- you're our best recruiters!

We encourage you, especially those of you who fit the term of
"diversity" students, to find a faculty mentor, and to network with
each other. We want you to succeed, and for your success to bring us
more students like you in the future.

Suggestions are welcome at the grad division for how better to
address your needs as graduate students, especially in regard to
recruiting and retaining diversity students.

Regarding the TA thing: you are not alone in your frustration. Dance
still has not received their budget, and I spoke with their grad
advisor who is still unable to tell her MFAs who will definitely have
a TA for winter. The problem is that we don't get the numbers until
the final weeks--though I know this puts you all in suspense and is
not how I'd like to handle things. But right now, it's how the system
works.

Robin Russin
Assistant Professor
robin.russin at ucr.edu