[Cwgrad-announcements] FW: Tells your students & friends! Ruskin....

Amanda J Labagnara amandal at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 26 16:23:25 PST 2007

Subject: Tells your students & friends!

RUSKIN ALL DAY WORKSOP

Saturday, February 10, 9:30-4pm
The Contemporary Sonnet with Tony Barnstone

$75 All day workshop/ Checks payable to the Ruskin Art Club
Morning Food and full lunch Limit 16; once full, morning audits allowed at $45
You must Contact Elena Karina Byrne directly in order to secure your spot.
Must be paid in full 1 week prior to the workshop
Ekdudende at aol.com  310-519-0360

THE RUSKIN ART CLUB
800 S Plymouth Blvd Los Angeles  90005
1block S of Wilshire/3blks west of Crenshaw at Plymouth & 8th
www.ruskinartclub.org <http://www.ruskinartclub.org/>

The Contemporary Sonnet

In this course we will explore the basics of writing in meter and rhyme.  We will read and discuss the techniques used in a variety of contemporary and classic sonnets by such international poets as Seamus Heaney, Ted Berrigan, e.e. cummings, Marilyn Hacker, Marilyn Nelson, William Baer, Willis Barnstone, Gerald Stern, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Petrarch, William Shakespeare, Francisco de Quevedo, Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, Jorge Luis Borges, and Feng Zhi.  The class will learn the basics of “scanning” poems (reading poems for their metrical rhythm) and the three essential secrets that make writing in form easy, will talk about sonnet versus free verse structure, about mechanic versus organic form, and about ways to blend them together. We will talk about “poetic journalism” (or the use of source materials that one “translates” into sonnet form).  We will discuss experimental sonnet form (shrinking sonnets, hourglass sonnets, free verse sonnets, Meredithian sonnets, etc.) and experimental rhyme techniques (full consonance, sight rhymes, reverse rhymes, repetition rhymes, inclusion rhymes, antonym rhymes, etc.)  Students should bring a portable computer or a pad of paper and a pen, and it might be a good idea to bring some free verse poems to use as source material for the poems to be written in class.

Tony Barnstone is the author of the free verse book Impure: Poems (University Press of Florida, 1999), of the book-length sequence of sonnets Sad Jazz (Sheep Meadow Press, 2005), and of a forthcoming book of sonnets titled Tongue of War.  In addition, he is the author of four books of translation from Chinese poetry and prose and of three literary textbooks.

Maurya Simon

Professor
Department of Creative Writing
University of California Riverside