[Cwgrad-announcements] Ruby Satellite

Gabriela Jauregui gabrielajauregui at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 15:40:02 PDT 2006

Hello everyone!
I've pasted the information for "Ruby Satellite", a really interesting
art show opening at the California Museum of Photography in Riverside
this Saturday (oh, yes and my husband Yoshua is in the show and will
be giving an artist talk on Thursday Nov. 2nd, so I'm definetely going
to be around, as you can imagine and hope to see some of you there
too!)
(There's also a cool opening at the Sweeney Gallery on the same evening).
And both events culminate with a performance by a great L.A.
band/musical comic troupe My Barbarian--they're really good!  If
you're in the area, I highly recommend that you check them out!
ok, enough mass e-mailing for one day I think!
best to all,
Gabriela

 RUBY
 SATELLITE

 MARKSTOCKTON
 EDGARENDRESS
 SAMURAI

RECENT
 AQUISITIONS

 October 28, 2006 – January, 7 2007
 RUBY SATELLITE was inspired by the bizarre real-life case of Russell
Eugene Weston Jr., who stormed the U.S. Capital building in search of
the Ruby Satellite, killing two police officers in his wake. RUBY
SATELLITE brings together artists—Marc Bijl, Paul Chan, Thomas
Dworzak, Kota Ezawa, Wei Guangqing, Nicoline van Harskamp, Mathilde
ter Heijne, Industry of the Ordinary, Janice Kerbel, Annika Larsson,
Adam McEwen, Yoshua Okon, Christine Tarkowski, and Mathew Wilson—who
examine these complicated drives in a group of forceful works that
include photography, video, and installation.

 SAMURAI, a collaborative project by Chilean artist Edgar Endress and
U.S. artist Mark Stockton, comprises a series of large-scale
three-dimensional anaglyphs, depicting members of a Japanese animation
club in present day Trenton, New Jersey exploring the gap between
identity and representation.

 These UCR/California Museum of Photography exhibitions will open
jointly with Sweeney Art Gallery's exhibition MATERIAL WITNESS.

 UCR/CMP, Sweeney Art Gallery, and Culver Center for the Arts are now
part of UCR ARTSblock, an integrated arts complex located on a single
block which will bring exciting art exhibitions, live performances,
and special events to Riverside and the Inland Empire communities.
Join us for this first ARTSblock event, which will feature a
performance by MY BARBARIAN at 8:30PM.
EXHIBITIONEVENTS
Saturday, October 28, 2006

5:00 PM
 Conversation with the Artist: Moderated by Charles Long - Sweeney Art Gallery

6:00 PM
 Artist Talk: Mark Stockton - UCR/CMP

8:30 PM
 Special Guest Performance: My Barbarian - UCR ARTSblock

 7—10:00 PM
 Opening Reception for Current Exhibitions
 UCR/CMP: Ruby Satellite and Mark Stockton and Edgar Endress: Samurai
 Sweeney Art Gallery: Material Witness

Thursday, November 2, 2006

5:00 PM
 Artist Talk: Yoshua Okon - UCR/CMP

6:00—9:00PM
 Verbal Coliseum - UCR ARTSblock

EDUCATIONALEVENTS
Sunday, November 5, 2006

1—4:00 PM
 Family Fun Day on First Sunday
 Search for the Ruby Satellite - UCR/CMP
 Based on Russell Weston's fantastic notion of the Ruby Satellite,
UCR/CMP has developed its own video based time reversal machine,
participants will take part in a bizarre experiment that will allow
them to travel through time and space!

ECO-ART Workshop with Joshua Callaghan - Sweeney Art Gallery
 Joshua Callaghan will lead a workshop on using recycled materials to
create community-responsive art. Participants will create individual
artworks from found materials. These will be integrated into a large
Riverside-Mobile to be featured in the gallery windows.

TUESDAY, November 21, 2006

7—9:00 PM
 Digital Wizards Program: Flow in Video Games - UCR/CMP
 Presented by Jenova Chen, learn how to use psychology to design an
optimal interactive experience. This lecture introduces a new caliber
for human interactivity designs, known as Dynamic Difficulty
Adjustment (DDA). Different from any other existing DDA research, this
lecture uses fundamental positive psychology concepts of "Flow" and
shows them in practice through video game designs to demonstrate why
certain interactive designs work and others don't.

UCR/California Museum of Photography is located at 3824 Main Street,
on the pedestrian Mall in downtown Riverside, California. Regular
Gallery and Museum Store hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 12 PM to
5 PM. Admission is $3 for the general public and free to members,
students and seniors. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an
adult. UCR/CMP offers guided educational tours to groups of 10 or
more. Guided tours must be scheduled in advance and are appropriate
for adults and grades 7-12; a nominal scheduling fee of $20 is
charged. Waiver of the fee will be considered for groups with special
needs.

 Stay in Touch with the UCR/CMP Info Line: (951) 784-FOTO | Website:
http://www.cmp.ucr.edu | MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/ucrcmp

 Podcast: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=203014695

 Image Credits: Kota Ezawa, Lennon, Sontag, Beuys, 2004, Video
Projection, variable size; Mark Stockton and Edgar Endress, Untitled
(Cristina and Gabriella Duel), 2005, Anaglyph Print; Zeiss Ikon, Carl
Zeiss Military No. 565, ca. 1930, Gift of Mead and Nancy Kibbey.

Forward email

This email was sent to yokon at earthlink.net, by cmppress at ucr.edu
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ |
Privacy Policy.