[Cwgrad-announcements] MFA Reading Series

Gabriela Jauregui gabrielajauregui at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 20:15:02 PDT 2006

I'm sorry for bombarding everyone's inbox with questions tonight, but
here's another important matter that has been on my mind since last
year: off-campus readings.
I would like to propose that we organize an off-campus reading series
(in addition to our colloquium on-campus) for all of those grad
students interested in reading their work to audiences who might not
come to UCR.
When I was at UCI, the grad students held readings on and off campus
(at various locations) and had a very organized system that I think
could serve as a model for us to start our own.  For instance, those
of us who are interested, could read from our work say at Imagine
That! bookstore, or at other venues around Riverside and in LA.  This
would help the program get exposure and we the students could get more
readings under our belts.  This might also help independent bookstores
who need the business badly nowadays (I'm thinking about Imagine That!
in particular, but not only them...)
Anyone interested?  If so, again please contact me off-list and we can
start putting a reading series together for the year.  I'll definetely
need volunteers to help with the logistics (and anyone who has any
contacts with people who work at bookstores etc. is most encouraged to
send me those too).
As far as faculty, I'm sure we would love it if some of you could
attend the readings and if you have any advice to offer (maybe even
read from your upcoming work?)...
my best to all,
Gabriela