[Cwgrad-announcements] Important Update

cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu
Mon May 22 21:17:30 PDT 2006

Attn:  1st year MFA students

An update on the discussions with the College of Humanities.
In week 6, Gaby and I met with the Associate Dean Scott Coltrane.  We presented our concerns and surprisingly, he knew all about the nuances of the problems (need for funding, teaching experience, budget concerns).  That same week, I went back to his office to schedule another appointment with the interim Dean, Joel Martin.  On their end, the CFO has been on jury duty and is not around as much as she needs to be during budget season.

So, as it pertains to us, we will know how many TA positions there are next week, week 9, Wednesday, May 31, at 2:00.  If you can, please show up en masse to the Dean's office so he can give us the news directly.  At the lowest, I think there are 8 TA's ships, and at best 16.  Hopefully, we can get something in between, and everyone can get some funding.  If the answer is not what we like, we certainly have other options, like protesting, demonstrating, and a public press campaign.  If it gets to that, we will need a new list serve and not use the university's resources to organize.

That's the news (or lack thereof) for now.  Good luck with the quarter.  Write well.

Ky-Phong