[Cwgrad-announcements] Writers Digest Short Short Story Contest

cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu
Mon Aug 14 11:47:23 PDT 2006

Subject: Writers Digest Short Short Story Contest

The Writer's Digest 7th Annual Short Short Story Competition

We're looking for fiction that's bold, brilliant...but brief. Send us your
best in 1,500 words or fewer.
But don't be too long about it-the deadline is Friday, December 01, 2006.

PRIZES
First Place: $3,000
Second Place: $1,500
Third Place: $500
Fourth Through Tenth Place: $100
Eleventh Through Twenty-Fifth Place: $50 gift certificate for Writer's
Digest Books

* The First-Place winner has the option of a FREE "Best Seller Publishing
Package" from Trafford Publishing.

* The names and story titles of the First-through Tenth-Place winners will
be printed in the June 2007 Writer's Digest, and winners will receive the
2007 Novel & Short Story Writer's Market.

The 7th Annual Writer's Digest SHORT SHORT STORY COMPETITION COLLECTION
Sponsored by Trafford

The 1st- through 25th-place manuscripts will be printed in a special
competition collection, published by Trafford Publishing. Use the entry form
to order your copy or purchase a copy online using a credit card. Order now
to receive the 50%-off, pre-publication special price. (Publication date:
May, 2007. You are not required to purchase the collection to enter the
competition.)

For entrants paying with a credit card, we will accept manuscripts submitted
online.

The Rules

1. The competition is open to manuscripts of 1,500 words or fewer. Entries
outside the word limitation will be disregarded. Type the word count on the
first page of your entry along with your name, address, phone number and
email address.

2. The entry fee is $12 per manuscript. You may enter as many manuscripts as
you wish. You may send one check (in U.S. funds) and one entry form for all
entries. If you are submitting your entry via regular mail, you may send one
check (in U.S. funds) and one entry form for all entries.

3. All entries must be in English, original, unpublished, and not submitted
elsewhere until the winners are announced. Writer's Digest reserves the
one-time publication rights to the 1st-t through 25th-place winning entries
to be published in a Writer's Digest publication.

4. If you are submitting your entry via regular mail, all entries must be
typewritten and double-spaced on one side of 8-1/2 x 11 or A4 white paper.
Manuscripts will not be returned.

5. Entries must be postmarked by Friday, December 01, 2006.

6. Winners will be notified by February 9, 2007. If you have not been
contacted by this date, you may assume that your entry is not a finalist and
may be marketed elsewhere.

7. Enclose a self-addressed, stamped postcard with your entry if you want to
be notified of its receipt. We cannot notify you personally of your story's
status before the winners are announced. If entering online, you will
receive a confirmation email for each entry you submit.

8. Winners' names will appear in the June 2007 issue of Writer's Digest
magazine. Afterwards, their names and story titles will be posted at
www.writersdigest.com.

9. The following are not permitted to enter the competition: employees of
F+W Publications, Inc., and their immediate families and Writer's Digest
contributing editors and correspondents as listed on the masthead.

Privacy Promise
Occasionally we make portions of our customer list available to other
companies so they may contact you about products and services that may be of
interest to you. If you prefer we withhold your name, simply send a note
with your name, address and the competition name to: List Manager, F+W
Publications, 4700 East Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, OH 45236.

A message from our Competition Collection sponsor:

Trafford Publishing is proud to sponsor the 7th annual Writer's Digest Short
Short Story Competition Collection. We love helping make author's dreams
come true. In fact, since 1995 Trafford Publishing has helped more than
5,000 authors publish over 7,000 new titles around the world. If your short
story is part of a book or you have a separate manuscript you want to
publish we welcome you to visit our website or give us a call-we'll even
send you a free guide which explains how publishing your book is easier than
you might think.

We wish you all the best with your contest submission.

www.trafford.com/freeguide
toll-free: 1-888-232-4444 ext 1587

Click on http://www.writersdigest.com/contests/shortshort/?goto=closead to
find the links forWriter's Digest Short Short Story Printable Entry Form and
Writer's Digest Short Short Story Competition Online Entry Form

Maurya Simon

Professor
Department of Creative Writing
University of California Riverside