[Cwgrad-announcements] FW: upcoming poetry at the loft

cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu
Tue Dec 6 08:29:01 PST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Maurya Simon [mailto:maurya.simon at ucr.edu]
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 8:10 PM
To: Amanda Labagnara
Cc: Neil Aitken :
Subject: Fwd: upcoming poetry at the loft

From: Sfwolpe at aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 15:41:12 EST
Dear Amanda,

Please forward this announcement to everyone.  Thanks, Maurya

Subject: please send your student to the upcoming poetry at the loft
To: jherrera at ucr.edu, dwighty6 at excite.com, Alisa_Slaughter at redlands.edu,
        JManesiot at aol.com, Ralph_Angel at redlands.edu,
        leela_madhavarau at redlands.edu, nancy_carrick at redlands.edu,
        maurya.simon at ucr.edu

Dear friends,

  The upcoming December artists at Poetry at the Loft... and more may be
of particular interest to you and your students. We are focusing on
Taiwanese-American artists. You have by now received our email poster
(if not, please let me know.) Please read it and forward it to your
students. This may be a rare opportunity to hear and interact with these
particular interesting artist. I booked Shin Yu Pai to come here last
year, and I helped arrange other readings for her in the LA area to
defray the cost. We have a very limited budget but we do our best to not
let that minor detail prevent us from bring interesting artists of high
caliber to our area.  I appreciate your support.

          Yours,
          Sholeh Wolpe
          Poetry at the Loft..and more, Director

Shin Yu Pai   Award winning poet says this of her work:  "As the child
of Taiwanese immigrants, language and story-telling have always been
central to my experience. Growing up in a bilingual household, my
creative process was shaped by a heightened awareness of verbal and
visual languages."

Marie Char Plays Erhu, a two-stringed Chinese instrument with a music
professor  from China .  Erhu is considered as the most challenging
Chinese musical  instrument.  Currently, she played in the Southern
California Chinese Orchestra and performed regularly in the Orange
County .

Maurya Simon

Professor
Department of Creative Writing