[Corebotanyfaculty] Notes from faculty meetings and request for votes

Bpschair bpschair at ucr.edu
Wed Oct 4 15:14:24 PDT 2023

Hi everyone,
I’m attaching the notes from our last two faculty meetings, summarizing discussions and votes.
We agreed to take two votes via email, and I ask that you submit your vote on these two items by the end of the day Friday Oct 6.

1.  Revised language to the policy regarding allowance of remote attendance for qualifying exams and defenses.  I revised the text that the GEAC submitted based on our discussion (basically removing examples of extenuating circumstances and adding a step for approval by the grad advisor to maintain consistency.  The language for the policy is below:

In-person oral qualifying exams and dissertation defense close-door meetings are strongly recommended and every effort should be made to hold these discussions in person. However, if unexpected circumstances exist that prohibit a fully in-person meeting, a hybrid or fully online option should be made available, in agreement with the committee chair and student, and approval by the graduate advisor (who may find it necessary to consult with the Graduate Educational Advisory Committee). If the oral qualifying exam and/or dissertation defense has been scheduled for in-person, but a committee member has emergency circumstances, then remote accommodation should be made available. The priority should be to hold the exam and/or defense on the originally scheduled day, unless extenuating circumstances prevent this.

Please vote here on approval of this policy:  https://forms.gle/Nt5sa74uExt1Mv249

2.  The search committee has revised the plant resilience position description based on discussions in the faculty meeting on Monday.  It is here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TK7fUoLJIWuIGK9SwjJGhbKJ8nB51KVouyUOXqPQCYA/edit?usp=sharing>:

Please cast your vote on approval here:  https://forms.gle/MhavUnaks5CsdTrbA

I will send a separate email with documents for new courses that we will vote on next week.

Patricia Springer
Professor and Chair, Department of Botany and Plant Sciences
University of California
Riverside, CA  92521

pspringer at ucr.edu<mailto:pspringer at ucr.edu>
bpschair at ucr.edu