[Corebotanyfaculty] TA assignments

Bpschair bpschair at ucr.edu
Mon Mar 27 13:52:43 PDT 2023

Hi everyone,
This year, we have had an unprecedented number of students decline TA assignments very late.  Classes start next week, and we had some students decline as late as today.
Please do everything you can to avoid having students pull out of TA assignments this late.  When students apply to TA, the major professor approves the application.  That is the time to discuss whether or not you want your student to TA.  If you approve their application, they get assigned, and then you decide it is better if they don’t TA, it leaves unfilled TA positions which can be difficult to fill.

I understand that last minute changes such as grant funding sometimes happen.  But PLEASE consider the impact on the classes when someone pulls out so late.

Thanks, patty

Patricia Springer
Professor and Chair, Department of Botany and Plant Sciences
University of California
Riverside, CA  92521

pspringer at ucr.edu
bpschair at ucr.edu