[Corebotanyfaculty] Fwd: Fruits for thoughts response

Bpschair bpschair at ucr.edu
Sat Mar 11 09:20:31 PST 2023

Hi everyone,  I am forwarding this response from Sue.

Patty

From: Susan Wessler <susan.wessler at ucr.edu<mailto:susan.wessler at ucr.edu>>
Subject: Fruits for thoughts response
Date: March 11, 2023 at 8:52:42 AM PST
To: Katayoon Dehesh <katayoon.dehesh at ucr.edu<mailto:katayoon.dehesh at ucr.edu>>
Cc: "bpsfaculty at lists.ucr.edu<mailto:bpsfaculty at lists.ucr.edu>" <bpsfaculty at lists.ucr.edu<mailto:bpsfaculty at lists.ucr.edu>>

Dear Katie,

Your email seems to lay the blame for the loss of Xuemei on us, the faculty, for not innovating in the ways you describe. I could not disagree more. Perhaps you are unaware but many of us have written several joint, training, and visionary program proposals and have or are leading the successful ones.  A number are in the area you describe and led by younger faculty.

Most of us have found that what is required for initiatives to be truly successful is buy in from the leadership of UCR and CNAS.  This can take many forms including support for the PI organizing and writing the proposal (e.g. teaching relief, grant writers), matching funds, and eventually, institutionalization.  Because this has not been forthcoming in the past 6-7 years (even worse, several promises made were not kept) many of us have simply given up and focused on our own programs.

With regard to the loss of Xuemei (and Janet Franklin), and, to be honest my decision to retire earlier than I had hoped, and the potential loss of other distinguished faculty, that also is largely due to inaction on the part of campus leadership. In all cases we have been ignored - especially women and people of color. This is a classic example of why it takes decades to build strength at a university and only a few years to lose it. Your best faculty will always have lots of opportunities. It the job of leadership to prevent that from happening.

Sue

Sue Wessler
Neil and Rochelle Campbell Presidential Chair for Innovation in Science Education
Distinguished Professor of Genetics
UC Riverside
Home Secretary, US National Academy of Sciences