[Corebotanyfaculty] Concerns about potential UAW strike

Bpschair bpschair at ucr.edu
Mon Nov 7 13:16:02 PST 2022

Hi everyone,

A few of you have asked about the possible UAW strike that will include GSRs, TAs, postdocs, and other academic workers.  Union members voted to strike on Nov 14 if an agreement is not reached through bargaining.  I do not know the strike duration.

I’m sending two documents that UCOP Office of Labor Relations has sent out.  They are not particularly helpful regarding what options we have for covering teaching and research needs.

The chairs are meeting with the Dean tomorrow morning and I will provide any additional information after that meeting.

I recognize the impact a strike will have on many of your research programs and the disruption in teaching of lab and discussion sections.  If the strike happens, I imagine that not all grad students, postdocs, and TAs will participate.  But unfortunately, supervisors are not allowed to ask employees if they will participate.    Sigh.

Patty

Patricia Springer
Professor and Chair, Department of Botany and Plant Sciences
University of California
Riverside, CA  92521

pspringer at ucr.edu
bpschair at ucr.edu