[Corebotanyfaculty] Fwd: PGEC Scientific Director position available

Mariella J Valdivia mariella.valdivia at ucr.edu
Fri Dec 2 12:28:37 PST 2022

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jennifer Fletcher <jfletcher at berkeley.edu<mailto:jfletcher at berkeley.edu>>
Date: Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 11:24 AM
Subject: PGEC Scientific Director position available
To: Venu Reddy <venu.gonehal at ucr.edu<mailto:venu.gonehal at ucr.edu>>

Dear Venu,
It's been a while since we've been in touch, but I hope you're well and enjoyed a nice Thanksgiving. I'm writing to ask for your help in identifying candidates for an Associate/Full Professor position in plant biology (please see attached position description). This is a special opportunity, as we are looking for an outstanding scientist to serve as the Scientific Director of the PGEC (https://pgec.berkeley.edu/), which is a unique collaboration of the Agricultural Research Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Department of Plant and Microbial Biology (PMB; http://plantandmicrobialbiology.berkeley.edu/) at UC Berkeley. We are conducting a broad search, including areas such as plant development, physiology or evolution, or plant responses and adaptations to the environment and climate change.
As Scientific Director, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing the Berkeley-related program and resources of the PGEC, including research, funding and staff. They will join a dynamic and collaborative PMB department with faculty whose research spans diverse areas of plant and microbial biology. Berkeley has exceptional strengths in plant biology, with opportunities for interactions and collaborations with other biological sciences departments on campus, the Innovative Genomics Institute (https://innovativegenomics.org/), Energy Biosciences Institute (https://energybiosciencesinstitute.org/), the Graduate Group in Microbiology (http://pmb.berkeley.edu/ggm/faculty), and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (https://biosciences.lbl.gov/).
We are searching for exceptional candidates whose research, teaching, or service has prepared them to contribute to our university and department goals of diversity and inclusion in higher education. Our student body at the undergraduate and graduate levels is increasingly diverse demographically, and we seek individuals who will excel at Berkeley in their research, teaching, and service, and who have engaged, or plan to engage, in activities that promote our goals and values as one of the world’s leading public institutions of higher education.
I’d appreciate it if you would let me know of any individuals I should contact and encourage to apply for our position, or feel free to forward them this message.
Thanks and best regards,
Jenn
--
Dr. Jennifer Fletcher (she/her/hers)