[Chemistry_faculty] competition

Michael Pirrung michael.pirrung at ucr.edu
Sat Jan 20 08:20:45 PST 2024

This is not strictly true. Penn Chemistry has a fantastically successful professional masters program that is completely company paid. Of course, they are in the hotbed of pharma companies in the New Jersey / Pennsylvania corridor. UCLA has a new program, it remains to be seen what financial structure they end up with. However, they have a strong connection to Amgen (even though UCSB is closer to the company), and there are a lot of smaller biotech / pharma companies with UCLA connections - Mike Jung (the inventor of Xtandi, which made >$500M for UC when the patent was sold -  of course, none of that made its way back to campus) is a founder or advisor of some ridiculous number of companies, I think 17.

Not in chemistry, but UCSD has a professional masters in pharmaceutical development that started as an in-person professional degree, and now has moved to an on-line version. I was a reviewer of their proposal for the latter when it was UC-approved a couple of years ago. It is very successful, they even have a few salary lines dedicated to this program exclusively. Again, they are in a hot-bed of biotech / pharma companies, and they tailor their program to that clientele. People can definitely make these things go. You just have to have (or bring in) expertise that is pertinent not just to the students but to the companies who employ them, or will employ them. Leverage your strengths.

Pharma / med chem would not work for us, I agree with that. We don’t have the profile of UCLA, they got to that spot first, and we aren’t near a bunch of companies. If you can come up w/ something that could be delivered in an on-line version, that can be a cash cow. There are people all over the world who will pay up for the prestige of a UC degree, even if it isn’t really the same, as we all know. I know little about the professional masters program UCR has in engineering, but my understanding is they do have an online track and it is going well.