[Chemistry_faculty] FW: competition

Kevin Kou kevink at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 16 12:23:15 PST 2024

There will be some interest/demand for a masters track program by those
looking to improve their GPA or gain some more experience prior to applying
to MD, PharmD, etc. programs. I've written letters for students to pursue
post-bac degrees at CSUs and MS in UCR's biomedical sciences programs for
this purpose.

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 12:07 PM bartels at ucr.edu <bartels at ucr.edu> wrote:

> I See Matt‘s concern; „offering“ such opportunity and then appraising the
> students that they could also get it for free if they enroll as Ph.D.
> Students will increase our PhD applicant pool. I See this as a win, even if
> no or very few students were actually ever to enroll in the MASC program.
>
> Ludwig Bartels
> Professor of Chemistry
> University of California at Riverside
> Phone: 951 827 2041
>

> On Jan 16, 2024, at 11:01, Matthew Conley <matthew.conley at ucr.edu> wrote:
>

> I'm having a hard time seeing a population that would benefit from paying
> $36k/year for a MACS degree. We give an arguably more valuable MS/MA degree
> to students that do not matriculate through our PhD program at near-zero
> cost to the student. This is just a revenue generator at a significant cost
> to the student.
>

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 10:48 AM Leonard Mueller <lmueller at ucr.edu> wrote:
>
>> One challenge for different target populations is the cost of
>> professional school tuition. The UCLA program is $36k/year just for tuition.
>>
>> -Len

*Kevin Kou, PhD*
Assistant Professor of Chemistry | UC Riverside
(951)827-4807 | koulab.org