[Chemistry_faculty] Glass Shop Rate Increase

Barbara A Outzen-Hill barbara.outzen at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 12 11:13:12 PST 2024

Subject:  Glass Shop Rate Increase

Dear Chemistry Faculty,

As head of the CNAS shops, I am writing to inform you that we are requesting a rate increase for the CNAS Glass shop, from $38/hr to $52/hr.  Since Chemistry is the largest user of this shop, I wanted to let the PI’s know about this rate increase and solicit feedback.

The proposed rate increase should be viewed in the context of three factors:

1) The rate has not increased since at least 2003.  Adjusting for inflation, $38 in 2003 would correspond to $64 in 2023, so even with the increase to $52 we are still well below inflation.

2)  We have been fortunate to attract Stephen Lepore as a part-time glass-blower but to retain him we have to provide additional financial resources for the shop, especially since support from CNAS has declined.

3) The cost for commercial scientific glass repair (T&G Scientific is used by UCLA faculty) is in the range of $200/hr and the turnaround time is often several weeks, making it unfeasible for many researchers.

Please feel free to let me know any comments or concerns,

Thanks, Chris

--
Prof. Chris Bardeen
Department of Chemistry