[CaTEACH-SMI] SMI Newsletter - Fall edition

Leslie Bushong leslie.bushong at ucr.edu
Fri Oct 2 10:10:38 PDT 2009

	Special Thank You to Local School PartnersSince SMI began in Spring
2006, it has depended on dedicated science and mathematics educators at our
local schools to open their classrooms to SMI students. To date, 70
credentialed science and mathematics teachers at 30 local school sites have
partnered with SMI to prepare our science and mathematics undergraduates to
pursue secondary teaching careers. SMI extends a special thank you to SMI
Mentor Teachers and school site partners in the following school
districts:Thank you to our partners at the local school sites for supporting
SMI and its students.SMI CONNECTIONSContact UsCaTEACH-SMI Resource CenterUC
Riverside1104 Pierce HallRiverside, CA
92521http://smi.ucr.edusmi@ucr.edu(951) 827-4970 [voice](951)827-4971
[fax]Administrative Assistant:Allison ClarkStaff Director:Leslie
BushongFaculty Director: Bradley HymanIn this IssueNSF Funds Noyce
ScholarshipsSpecial Thank You to Local School PartnersSMI Guest Speaker
Series ALPHA Center
		Special Thank You to Local School PartnersSince SMI began in
Spring 2006, it has depended on dedicated science and mathematics educators
at our local schools to open their classrooms to SMI students. To date, 70
credentialed science and mathematics teachers at 30 local school sites have
partnered with SMI to prepare our science and mathematics undergraduates to
pursue secondary teaching careers. SMI extends a special thank you to SMI
Mentor Teachers and school site partners in the following school
districts:Thank you to our partners at the local school sites for supporting
SMI and its students.Integrated Teaching Credential Program at UCR:
Informational Seminar10/27/09 (Tuesday) at 11:10 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. in
Pierce 11111/2/09 (Monday) at 1:10 to 2:00 p.m. in Pierce 111Complete
lower-division courses that introduce students to the field of
science/mathematics teaching.Complete early field experiences to observe and
practice instructional strategies used in science/mathematics
classrooms.Blend """"

PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
<http://smi.ucr.edu/opportunities.html>

		Teaching Mathematics and Science for the 21st CenturyIn
partnership with the Science and Technology Education Partnership (STEP),
Dr. Clute, Dr. Hyman, Dr. Simani, and Ms. Braatz-Brown will present
effective strategies that will bring excitement into the science and
mathematics classrooms. This seminar is free to 4th - 9th grade credentialed
teachers and SMI students. Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:00 p.m. to 7:00
p.m. Riverside Convention Center 3443 Orange Street, Riverside,
CA********************************************************National Council
of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) 2009 Regional Conference & ExpositionThe
NCTM 2009 Regional Conference and Exposition is planned for this fall at
three locations. Join thousands of mathematics educators in hands-on
workshops, exchanging teaching tips and techniques, and discovering new
mathematics instructional products. Conference dates and locations are: *
October 21-23, 2009: Boston, MA * November 4-6, 2009: Minneapolis, MNTravel
grants

Recommended Courses for Winter 2010

	EDUC 3: Imagining Teaching - Science/Mathematics EmphasisNASC 192:
Careers in Mathematics and Science TeachingEDUC/MATH 104: Mathematics
EducationEDUC 109: Education in a Diverse SocietyEDUC 116: The Exceptional
ChildEDUC 100A: Tutorial Teaching: Community OutreachTo evaluate the best
way to incorporate these courses into YOUR SMI plan, e-mail an SMI Advisor
at smi at ucr.edu to schedule an SMI advising appointment.SMI Reimbursement
ProgramsSMI provides a variety of financial resources to promote our student
participants in their endeavors to satisfy California teaching credential
exams (e.g. CBEST and CSET Exams) and to expand their experiences to develop
and implement classroom lessons.The SMI Reimbursement Programs provide
financial help for:
> EDUC 3 and EDUC 4 > Classroom Instructional Supplies> CSET Preparation
Courses> CBEST and CSET ExaminationsTo learn more about the policies and
procedures related to these financial resources, please visit the SMI
website. CBEST * October 3, 2009CSET