[Botanygraduatestudents] Advertise BPSC 225E for spring quarter

Mariella J Valdivia mariella.valdivia at ucr.edu
Fri Mar 17 16:46:36 PDT 2023

    _______________

    Dear Plant Biology students,

    Next quarter I am offering a 2-unit version of the course typically called “Advanced Plant Breeding”. In this two unit version we will meet once per week for 1 hr of lecture and 1 hr of discussion. During the discussion section students present a research article related to the topic of the week. In some cases this course can fulfill the 240 requirement, but this should be discussed with Fidel Rivas.

    Here is a brief description of the course:
    Advanced topics in Agricultural Plant Biology, including the application of genomics and biotechnology to address modern agricultural challenges. This 2-unit course will cover topics in genetics pertinent to the selective improvement of crops, especially as related to developing climate resilience. This includes the theory and application of plant breeding approaches, the use of genomic information to direct cultivar improvement, and transgenic and gene-editing approaches for targeted improvement of relevant traits, including yield, pest and disease resistance, and abiotic stress response.

    Please feel free to email with any questions.

    All the best,
    Danelle

    Danelle Seymour, PhD
    Assistant Professor