[Biomed_all] Reminder: Still time to register! 10th Annual SCEP symposium

Maribel Macrum Maribel.Macrum at medsch.ucr.edu
Mon Oct 19 11:23:40 PDT 2020

Dear all,

We are just days away from the 10th Annual SCEP symposium!!!

Date: Wednesday, October 21st, 2020
Time: 8:45am - 4:00pm
Register here:
https://ucriverside.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1LJIhP6fTHv3yfj

There is a lot going on right now but I hope you will set aside this time to join us.

Unfortunately we have had some technical issues with the website and registration. If you have had any difficulties at all in registering please let us know directly by email
- either Pica or any of the organizers will assist you.

This year we are hosting the symposium using the Zoom platform as this is our first virtual symposium.

"10th Annual Southern California Eukaryotic Pathogen" Symposium

https://ucr.zoom.us/j/97872332514?pwd=VHE0MklDc21jekNKdlN6dWF6V3ZBZz09

Meeting ID: 978 7233 2514

Passcode: 627236

Thank you to all that submitted abstracts for talks.

Congratulations to the selected speakers:

1. Amara Thind: "Proximity biotinylation reveals novel and secreted dense granule proteins of Toxoplasma gondii bradyzoites"
2. Alexandra Willis: "Inherited immunity in C. elegans model of microsporidia infection"
3. Izra Abbaali: "Targeting Toxoplasma tubulin"
4. Sophia Parks: "Parasitic nematode fatty acid and retinol-binding proteins compromise host immunity by interfering with host lipid signaling"
5. Maude Dagenais: "The need for sugar-coating: Profiling of Schistosoma mansoni EV surface glycans"
6. Danielle Velez-Ramirez: "cAMP-dependent phosphorylation of flagellum proteins in Trypansoma brucei"
7. Emily Merritt: "Are T cells recognizing Toxoplasma Injected Neurons (TINs)?"
8. Edward Vizcarra: "A Toxoplasma recrudescence ex vivo model"
9. Zeinab Chahine: "A multi-omics approach to understand the mode of action of a kalihinol analogue, a potent new anti-malarial against Plasmodium falciparum"

A separate confirmation email will be sent to all speakers.

For those unable to give a talk but still interested in presenting a poster we would love to see your work. For those having technical issues submitting an abstract we would be delighted if you would like to present a poster. Please email the organizers and we will prepare a poster slot for you.

The posters will take place on SLACK. For this of you who have not experienced this platform before please read the instructions attached. Please upload your poster by Monday -October 19th @ 4pm. Interactions with posters and presenters can be in multiple formats. Posters can be uploaded in many file formats including .pdf and .ppt. Please be aware, as is common with many of the online formats, not only can posters be downloaded but in some cases it is recommended to help for viewing.

A separate confirmation email with additional instructions be sent to all poster presenters.

To maximize our interactions at the poster session we have introduced two new SCEP features.

1. Presenters have the option to add their own zoom links for viewers to step into their zoom room and speak directly with the presenter, you can also upload audio for helpful commentary. Posters will be available for viewing on the SLACK site from Monday evening onwards. Please feel free to leave questions and comments before the start of the meeting.

2. 10 of our posters have been selected to present a "2 slides 2min" lightening talk to introduce and tantalize the audience.

Poster List with selected lightening talks in bold:

1. Thomas Hollin
2. Peter Back
3. Kristina Bergersen
4. Suhani Bhakta
5. Sarah Bobardt
6. Stephanie DeMarco
7. Nelly ElSakkary
8. Zoe Figueroa
9. Emely Giron Perdomo
10. Evelyn Hoover
11. Anand Kumar Rai
12. Rebecca Pasquarelli
13. Danae Schulz
14. Mark Wiley

As always SCEP has generous support from the community and we are able to offer HUGE prizes - including a beautiful certificate - for best talk, best poster and best lightening talk. You too can be a winner! This year the award ceremony is definitely BYOB!

Any questions please feel free to email us directly. We have attached the schedule for your review. The abstract booklet will be sent prior to the symposium and posted in SLACK.

Looking forward to welcoming our guest speakers Keke Fairfax and Photini Sinnis next Wednesday and looking forward to seeing all of you, even if only through a zoom box!

Don't forget to share with your colleagues, labs, and cohorts!!!

All the best,
The SCEP committee

https://scep.ucr.edu/

[cid:image002.png at 01D6A609.010687D0]