[Bgsa] Empire Day 2012 Reminder

Jon Allen jonallen at ucr.edu
Mon May 7 13:59:23 PDT 2012

Please join us on the Spieth Patio on Thursday, May 24th
from 3 o'clock to 4 o'clock
for our 2nd Annual "Empire Day" Tea and Scones.

This event will take the place of the usual Grad Seminar Coffee.

We encourage all to participate by baking and bringing scones to go with
the variety of teas that we will provide.
Prizes will be awarded to the scones that get the most "popular" votes.

Please print and post the attached flyer for those who I may have missed
on my e-mail list.

Here is your British Empire "fact of the day":
"Political correctness appears to have 'won the day' when in 1958 Empire
Day was re-badged as British Commonwealth Day, and still later in 1966
when it became known as Commonwealth Day. The date of Commonwealth Day
was also changed to 10th June, the official birthday of the present
Queen Elizabeth II. The date was again changed in 1977 to the second
Monday in March, when each year The Queen still sends a special message
to the youth of the Empire via a radio broadcast to all the various
countries of the Commonwealth"