[Bgsa] Bacteria/Microscope Question

Ashkaan F ashkaanf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 16:43:15 PST 2012

Hi all,

I'm interested in doing some experiments in protist/microbial laboratory
microcosms which would involve counting the number of organisms in samples
from the microcosms. Community ecologists do this kind of stuff pretty
frequently but they almost always exclude bacteria; I would like to
overcome this shortcoming.

My issue is I don't have a clue how one samples and counts bacteria. I have
gathered that I need a hemocytometer and high power microscope, but there
are many other details that I can't seem to get sorted out.  Does anyone do
this sort of thing?  If you do use these types of protocols in your lab,
would you mind if we (Kurt Anderson and I) came over and bugged you about
methods and checked out your set up?

Best,

Ashkaan Fahimipour