[Bgsa] My 2 cents on GSA elections

Carla Essenberg cesse001 at student.ucr.edu
Mon Apr 23 15:48:29 PDT 2012

Hi Folks,

Don't forget to vote in the GSA elections this week!  In case you're having
trouble working out who to vote for, here are my 2 cents:

In the race for president, I think Brian Williams is by some margin the
best candidate.  He has a lot more experience in the GSA than the other two
candidates and I think his view of what the GSA needs from the president is
sound.  He is also friendly to the union and, I think, would help to make
the relationship between the GSA and the union more cooperative that it has
been recently, which in my view would be a very good thing.  Henry Huang I
don't know at all and it is not clear that he has any relevant experience
or any idea what he would be getting into if he were elected.  Aaron Jones
has been active with the GSA for only a few months (he was voted into his
current position during the winter term) and although my impression from
his reports in the GSA council meetings is that he is keen and energetic,
he also seems very naive.

I don't know many of the candidates for the other positions.  Rachel
Cassel, who is running for executive VP, seems to me to be a decent person
although not an outstandingly good president.  Laura Terrill, who is
running for re-election as the finance officer has, as far as I can tell,
done a decent job so far.

There are definitely advantages to having some people in the GSA leadership
who already know how the organization works - the jobs involve a lot of
administrative duties that apparently can be a little overwhelming to
figure out for the first time, especially if the other officers are also
new.

So those are my 2 cents.  I'd be grateful if you didn't forward this
message outside of the department (I'd prefer it not get back to the
candidates).  Please do take a moment to vote (once the election website
comes back up, anyway), at least in the presidential election.

Cheers,

Carla