[Bgsa] good news about the website!

Carla Essenberg cesse001 at student.ucr.edu
Wed Oct 20 15:39:19 PDT 2010

Hello Fellow Graduate Students,

Kim Hammond has asked Melissa Gomez to set up a new EEOB website,
using some software that the university is making available to
departments which apparently makes it really easy to manage websites.
So, there is a new site on its way - much of it is already assembled
and Melissa hopes to have it finished by the end of the term.

This means that we can finally put into practice the ideas people have
been suggesting for the graduate student page.  I have attached a
sample student entry that I sent to Melissa as a suggestion for where
we could start.  She says that it is quite easy to make changes to the
website, so we should be able to continue to tweak it even after she
has set up the page.  We skimmed over the website during our last
EEOBGSA meeting because at that stage I had no idea that we were going
to be able to make any significant changes to the site in the near
future.  So, please let me know if you have opinions about what the
site should look like, and if you would be interested in meeting
sometime to discuss the different possibilities, let me know that as
well - if there is interest, I'll arrange a time soon for the people
who have expressed interested to get together and talk through the
options.

Currently, I have research keywords for most, but not all, of the
continuing students and not, of course, from the new students.  Sharon
Coe sent Melissa many of the photographs she had from when she made
the photo guide a few years ago, so we have photographs of perhaps a
third of the graduate students.  I've attached a spreadsheet that
shows what research keywords I have for people and who Sharon sent us
pictures of.  Obviously, it would be nice to have pictures of
everyone, so if you have a picture of yourself (preferably condensed
so that it is not a huge file) that you would like posted on the web,
send me a copy (ideally as a reply to this message, without changing
the subject line, so that gmail will collect them all together for me)
(or tell me where I can find it on the web).  I can also bring in my
camera and make myself available to take pictures of people, perhaps
after Lunch Bunch or seminar.

Carla

--
Carla Essenberg