[Bgsa] this week's seminar (note the unusual time!) and meeting with the speaker

Carla Essenberg cesse001 at student.ucr.edu
Tue May 25 09:41:32 PDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

Here is the official announcement from Kim Hammond about the seminar
this week and meeting with the speaker.  She asks people to RSVP to
her regarding meeting with the speaker.  If you've already RSVP-ed to
me, I'll pass your name on to her.

Cheers,

Carla

Here is Kim's message:

Hi everyone,
This week the colloquium seminar will not be held at 4pm, but instead
at 5:30 in the extension center.  This will be the annual John and
Betty Moore Science as a Way of Knowing seminar.   For those of you
who are relatively new, this has been a very regular event (although
we missed last year) in honor of our own John and Betty Moore and how
they spent their life engaged in learning.  John was an embryologist
who spent his early years at Columbia University, had a long career
engaged in science.  He was also a National Academy member who brought
the battle for maintaining the teaching of Evolution in our
Universities to the Academy.  He is partly responsible for keeping the
Academy focused on that issue.  John also was instrumental in causing
the National Academy to become engaged in K12 educational issues.

We have brought in many speakers with the rule that they have to have
a broad appeal and interest to most of the members of our campus at
all levels, as well as to the general public.

This year’s speaker is Dr. Timothy D. White (discoverer of ARDI)..
here is a link about him:

http://newsroom.ucr.edu/news_item.html?action=page&id=2343

Although his time is very limited, we have always tried to give the
graduate students as much time as possible with the SAAWOK speaker.
We have reserved the Moore room from 3:30 to 4:30 pm on Thursday and
Dr. White will be there to talk with whoever of you can come.   Please
RSVP to me (khammond at ucr.edu) so we can get a rough head count.  Also,
please join us after his talk at University Extension Center for a
reception.

Thank You,
Kim