[Bgsa] EEOBGSA web site

Carla Essenberg cesse001 at student.ucr.edu
Tue Jan 26 14:53:43 PST 2010

Dear Fellow Graduate Students,

At our last meeting, I mentioned that I had been told we could set up
an iLearn site for the EEOBGSA and was interested in going ahead with
that.  Unfortunately, I have found out since then that I was
misinformed - my latest information is that we can only have an iLearn
site if we can find a faculty member willing to maintain the members
list.  This strikes me as unlikely, so I don't intend to pursue that
option any further.

However, there is an alternative!  Student Life maintains a website
for every student organization, and so we in fact already have a
website.  As far as I know, the only people who have ever visited it
are EEOBGSA officers, and then only rarely, but it doesn't have to be
that way.  If you add a link to the site in your bookmarks, it's
actually quite easy to get to, and it has various handy features, such
as an announcements board, a calendar, a blog, and a place where one
can post documents.

Anyway, I have gone ahead and up-dated the members list, so all
graduate students in EEOB should now have access to it (if you don't,
let me know!).  All you have to do is go to the following link and
sign in:

https://ucr-sgms.symplicity.com/?

(If that doesn't work, try:
http://www.studentlife.ucr.edu/studentOrganizations/Pages/solar.aspx,
then click on "log in to SOLAR and see everything that these groups
have to offer", which is under "Explore UCR's Student organizations
with SOLAR Online!".)

You'll then see a page listing all the student groups you are in,
which should include the EEOBGSA.  Click on "Evolution, Ecology, and
Organismal Biology Graduate Student Association" under "My Groups" and
you're in!

I've put a number of potentially-useful documents onto the site under,
surprisingly, "Documents", including the most up-to-date version of
the contact sheet (also attached to this message for the sake of
post-docs), the winter coffee half-hour schedule, our budget, and
minutes for our last two meetings.  You'll also find a copy of our
constitution on there.  It's a little out-of-date - perhaps we can
consider revising it at a future meeting...

Hope this turns out to be useful.

Cheers,

Carla

--