[Bgsa] Science Fairs

Brian Gray brian.gray at email.ucr.edu
Fri Jan 15 16:22:46 PST 2010

Hi Everyone,

Some information regarding upcoming science fairs
that you may be interested in:

1) Victoria Elementary School needs judges on
Thursday, January 21 (next Thursday).  The fair runs
from 8am-2pm.  See the email below from Kathleen
Bocian regarding the event.  If you'd like to help
out, be sure to email Kathleen at
kathleen.bocian at ucr.edu.

Bre and I will be attending, and can provide rides
for others.  I still have two seats available in my
car and will likely go from 9-11am.  Email Bre if
you'd like to go with her and to find out when she's
planning to go.

"Dear Friends,

Victoria Elementary School is looking for people who
can put in some time on Thursday, Jan 21st between
8:00 and 2:00 to judge science fair projects. You
will be given the criteria for judging, and each
project takes about 10 to 15 minutes to judge. Any
time you have available would be much appreciated.

Victoria Elementary School is about 4 minutes from
campus, on the corner of Anna and Arlington (near
Target and the School for the Deaf).
You are invited (but not required!)  to stay for
lunch as a thank you from the school.  The school
only asks that you let them know in advance so that
they can order appropriately (and no it is not lunch
cafeteria food!)
This is also a great experience for graduate
students or even sharp undergraduate students who
want to apply their analytical skills to the work of
VERY YOUNG students.  You have no idea how impressed
parents, teachers, and especially the students are
with the idea that faculty, staff, and students from
UCR looked at THEIR project.

Please forward this to colleagues and graduate
students as you see fit, but have them get back to
me also so that I can let the school know:
a.) who is coming
b.) approximate times to expect the judges (ie. I
can be there from 9:00 to 11:00)

Thank you so much!
Kathy Bocian

--
Kathleen Bocian
University of California, Riverside

2) Granite Hills Elementary School needs judges on
Tuesday, February 2.  Their fair runs from 12-4pm,
but judging there takes very little time (usually
less than an hour).  Email or call Kelly Keprios if
you'd like to attend--her information is found
below.

Again, I'll be attending and willing to drive a few
others.  I'll be attending from 12-1ish.
"Hello to all,

It’s that time again!  Last year, you were all
kind enough to sacrifice your time to come and judge
Granite Hill’s Science Fair, and I’m hoping you
can spare some time this year to judge again!
Granite Hill’s Science Fair will be on Tuesday,
February 2nd, 2010, from noon to four.  I truly
appreciate any time you can spare to judge.  Most
judges view and score approximately ten projects and
take about 30-45 minutes doing so.  If you are able
to help out, please let me know so I can make
appropriate accommodations.  Our address is:

Granite Hill Elementary
9371 Granite Hill Dr.
Riverside, CA 92509
(951)360-2725

If you know of anyone else that would be interested
in judging, would you please let them know, or
forward me their information.   Thank you for all of
your help, you are vital to the success of science
fair at our school, and your time and effort is
truly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Kelly Keprios
Teacher/Science Fair Coordinator
Granite Hill Elementary
(951) 360-2725
kelly_keprios at jusd.k12.ca.us"

3) Finally, the RUSD Science and Engineering Fair
will be taking place sometime in February or
March on the UCR campus.  I'll send out more
information regarding this event when it becomes
available.  Last year, EEOBGSA sponsored a prize for
a middle school project and sent 5 judges to the
event.
Sorry to send such a long email!  Thanks in advance
for taking some time to work with our local schools
and community!

Regards,
Brian