[Bgsa] a bit more on TA workloads

Carla Essenberg cesse001 at student.ucr.edu
Tue Oct 6 17:40:28 PDT 2009

I mentioned in relation to TA workloads that if you are working too
much, the university has several options, including reducing your
workload, hiring someone else, or paying you more.  Our contract
doesn't say what option the university has to take.  Mart thinks, and
given the budget situation I agree, that the university will almost
certainly go with the first option (at least in the short term). That
being said, if they keep cutting TAs and we just work more, they'll
carry on doing it, whereas if we are not willing to do that, pressure
will build on the university to reconsider their cost-saving
strategies.

The union has a sheet prepared for keeping track of your hours - see
http://www.uaw2865.org/rights/files/WorkloadGrid%2012-21-07.pdf.  If
you are TAing a course in which class sizes have gone up, it really
would be a good idea to fill this thing out - you don't have to do
anything with the information if you don't want to, but at least you
will have the option if the workload starts to be a problem.

Carla

--
Carla Essenberg
PhD Candidate and EEOBGSA President