[Bgsa] Recycling coordinator needed!

Carla Essenberg cesse001 at student.ucr.edu
Tue Jun 23 16:24:02 PDT 2009

Dear fellow graduate students,

As you know, Bre set up an EEOBGSA recycling effort not long after she got
here and has been coordinating it ever since.  However, she would now like
to shift her attention to the soon-to-be-formed outreach committee.  A
majority of you voted in favor of having a Treasurer/Recycling Coordinator
at our last EEOBGSA election, so it sounds like people are in favor of
continuing our recycling efforts.  Therefore, we need someone to take over
from Bre.

The job should require a relatively small time commitment.  What you would
need to do is:

-Find volunteers to collect, sort, and deliver the recycling every month or
so (the bins fill up less quickly at some times of year, so you might not
need volunteers for every month)

-Provide assistance and support to these volunteers as needed – e.g., tell
them what they need to do (see attached file that Bre made up for that
purpose), send them reminders, make sure that spare bags are available to
line the bins, etc.

-Keep records of how much we have collected and how much money we have made.
Bre has a spreadsheet made up for this (see attached), so all you need to do
is ask the volunteers to fill in the spreadsheet after they come back from
the recycling place and give you copies of their receipts.

-Do the recycling yourself when needed.  So far, Bre has been pretty
successful at getting people to sign up to do recycling, so this should not
be a big problem.  If it is, we may have to reconsider whether to continue
the recycling.

The treasurer part of the position is minimal at this point, unless you
would like to have more responsibility for the group’s finances.  Currently
all it would involve is collecting the recycling money from the volunteers ,
keeping a record of it (as described above),  and getting it into the cash
box (which I have at present).  I hope to have worked out how to open an
EEOBGSA bank account soon, and if we can do that, you might add making
periodic deposits into the bank account to your list of responsibilities.

In return for this relatively small commitment, you will get the warm and
fuzzy feeling that comes with making the world a better place, the gratitude
and respect of your colleagues, and, perhaps, also something with which to
pad your CV.

If you are interested or would like more information, please let me know.

Cheers,

Carla

--
Carla Essenberg