[Bgsa] GSA representative needed!

Carla Essenberg cesse001 at student.ucr.edu
Wed Jul 1 12:50:10 PDT 2009

Dear fellow graduate students,

We are still looking for one GSA representative.  Swanne will be continuing
as one of our two representatives, but Mauricio is stepping down.  The
minimum commitment is fairly small: you would need to attend one evening
meeting (1-1.5 hours) per month during the usual school year (i.e., not the
summer) plus serve on a GSA committee, for which time obligations vary.  Swanne
tells me that her committee meets once a month, others meet less frequently,
and some may meet more frequently.  In the past, free food has been provided
at the GSA meetings, although I don’t know whether that will survive the
budget cuts.

The GSA, as you may or may not know, does some important things that
influence all of us – they negotiate the Graduate Student Health Insurance
Plan, decide how to award travel grant money, and provide representatives to
interact with top administrators of UCR.  As a GSA representative, you could
make sure that your concerns and those of your colleagues in EEOB were heard
by people outside of this department.  You would learn more about what
decisions are being made that will affect our experiences at UCR, and have
an opportunity to influence them.  You would also have a chance to make
friends from other departments, have opportunities to talk about things
other than biology, and perhaps save yourself from becoming a complete
biology nerd by the time you complete your degree.

If you are interested in being a GSA representative for EEOB, please let me
know.  If you would like to know more about what it is like to be a GSA
representative, you can talk with Swanne, who is just back from Trinidad,
and/or correspond by email with Mauricio, who is still in Trinidad.

Cheers,

Carla

--
Carla Essenberg