[Bgsa] Lunch with this week's seminar speaker

Kenneth C. Welch Jr. kenwelch at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 27 09:44:16 PST 2009

Dear Bio Grad Students,

I still have a few openings left to have lunch with this week's seminar
speaker, Dr. Raul Suarez, on Thursday.  Let me list a few reasons why
you might want to consider joining Dr. Suarez for lunch:

1. Free lunch at The Barn! (that alone is reason enough)

2. Raul is a recognized expert in the fields of comparative animal
energetics and biochemistry, and you can get his valuable outside
perspective on a bit of your own work (he's worked on
birds/bats/fish/insects and more!).

3. Raul can give you a sense for how grad students are treated in the
Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology department at UCSB. I know you all
are pressing hard to see some changes made to the program here. Raul can
offer you his insights regarding what works, what doesn't, and how he'd
like to see things improved at UCSB...and this can inform your own work.

4. Raul has a sharp wit, and can tell you plenty of funny and
potentially embarrassing stories about Kim Hammond, Mark Chappell, Ted
Garland and others! You always need some good ammo for your own thesis
defense talks!

5. As he is my former PhD advisor, you can ask Raul, "What's Ken's
problem? Is there something toxic in the water in Santa Barbara? How do
I keep from being like that guy?"

Please reply via e-mail if you are interested in joining Raul for lunch
on Thursday (plan for 12-1:30).

Ken

Kenneth C. Welch Jr., Ph.D.

Postdoctoral Researcher