[Bgsa] Lunch Bunch organizer needed

Carla Essenberg cesse001 at student.ucr.edu
Fri Aug 28 20:02:34 PDT 2009

Dear fellow graduate students,

We are in need of a volunteer to organize Lunch Bunch for the fall
quarter.  There will not be funds for reimbursing speakers for travel
this term, so we will be focusing on local talent.  However, four of
the slots have already been filled and I have a volunteer to fill a
fifth slot, so you would only need to find three or four speakers.
Although some people don’t like this, you could probably fill most of
those slots with Thursday seminar speakers if you wished – I found
that most were happy to give a second talk.  Alternatively, we have
many post-docs on campus who have not given seminars here, and of
course there are many colleges and universities within an easy drive
of UCR that likely have faculty who would give interesting talks – I
can pass on a few suggestions that were given to me.

I have attached a sheet that Rebecca and I put together that lists all
the things you would need to do (as well as some things that are not
relevant because of the lack of budget) – I was pretty detailed, so it
looks worse than it really is.  In brief, your task would be:

Prior to the start of term: Fill the remaining slots, put together a
schedule, and make the schedule available to people.

During term: Help set up the projector each week, make sure someone is
lined up to introduce the speaker (or do it yourself), organize lunch
at the Barn for the off-campus speakers (if funds are available), and
make sure off-campus speakers have directions to get here, a meeting
schedule if they want one, etc.

That’s about it.  I found organizing Lunch Bunch to be a rewarding
experience and learned a lot from doing it.  It might also look nice
on your CV, and of course, it will earn you the gratitude of your
colleagues.

Anyway, if you are interested in doing this, or would like to ask any
questions about what it would entail, please send me an email.  The
sooner you can get started, the better, so don’t delay!

Cheers,

Carla

--
Carla Essenberg