[Bgsa] call for T-shirt designs

Carla Essenberg cesse001 at student.ucr.edu
Sun Aug 23 12:30:43 PDT 2009

Dear fellow graduate students,

Given the strong interest in having EEOB T-shirts, we would like to
invite you to tap into your creative side during the last part of the
summer and come up with T-shirt designs, to be submitted by October 1.
 We will take a vote to choose the best design, then collect orders
and print them up (in the fall term, I hope).  Prizes will be given to
the people who submit the most popular designs.

A few guidelines for you as you put together your designs:

-The design will need to be submitted to the printer in a
high-resolution, electronic format.  Please submit your design as a
digital file (apparently many different formats will work okay,
although the printing shop would prefer a .ai (Adobe Illustrator),
.cdr (Corel Draw), .pfd (Photoshop), or .jpeg format if possible) with
no less than 200 dpi (dots per inch, or pixels per inch, when it is
printed at the desired size on the T-shirt – e.g., this would be
2400x2400 pixels for a 1ft x 1ft image), and higher resolution (more
pixels) if possible.  If you don’t have any good drawing software,
there are a number of free-source drawing programs available on the
web – just try searching “drawing programs” or something like that.
I’ve tried loading InkScape (http://www.inkscape.org) and GIMP
(http://www.gimp.org) on my computer, and they both seem to work okay.

-Each color used will increase the cost of the T-shirts (probably by
about $1.00 or so per shirt).  We will estimate prices of T-shirts
made with each design so that people can take that into account when
they vote on designs.  Since many of us are pretty frugal, make sure
you are getting the maximum effect out of each color you use.

-Also be aware that having designs on both sides of the T-shirt (such
as a large design on the back and a small one on the front) will
likely add a bit to the price (this depends on who we get to print the
shirts, but if we order from the shop that currently looks most
promising, adding a single-color design to the second side would add
about $1.00 to the price of each shirt).

We look forward eagerly to seeing your designs.

Cheers,

Carla and Adrienne

--
Carla Essenberg