[Bgsa] Commons update

Sharon Coe sharon.coe at ucr.edu
Fri Mar 14 18:23:44 PDT 2008

Hey everyone,

Points from the Commons Board meeting this week:

1. If you've been wishing they offered water in a cup
like at the Barn, which apparently they used to do, it's going
to be available soon. This decision was in direct response to
input from grad and undergrads that's been brought up at our
meetings, so keep the comments coming!

2. There is talk about a coffee venue going into where
Printing and Reprographics just moved out of near the
bookstore. I am not sure this is going to happen for sure, but
presumably it would happen before Phase 2 is complete.

3. STUDENT SURVEY--watch your email accounts for announcement
about a survey regarding the Commons in general and Phase 2
specifically. Your input is important!! It'll
probably be sent by end of March. Currently Phase 2 is
supposed to have a coffee place, a hamburger place, and other
retail space (some of which could become food).

4. Some of you like the restaurant chain options, like Panda
Express. Apparently they are fairly hard to negotiate because
the dining staff belong to a union, so the chain must abide by
union rules (or they are negotiated). It apparently took a lot
of work to get things kosher so Panda could set up shop here,
so don't be surprised if you don't see more chains here (which
you may prefer anyway).

5. Looking for food on Sat? The sandwich place is now open
(not sure of the hours).

6. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me feedback (positive or
negative) about the Commons. I've have shared a laundry list
of comments at the last two meetings, and the director of the
Commons specifically told me he appreciates getting feedback
from the grad students that I have shared.

Thanks,
Sharon
Sharon Coe
PhD Candidate