[Bgsa] Joe Williams giving Lunch Bunch this week

Sharon Coe coes01 at student.ucr.edu
Tue Feb 13 13:46:44 PST 2007

Hi everyone,

This week we have another double-header (besides the Con Bio Candidate search talks!) with Joe Williams, who is a professor at Ohio State, giving the Thursday seminar as well as the Friday Lunch Bunch.

Joe works largely on physiology of birds (though I see ungulates are on the list too) and has had field sites in the Middle East among other places. I think the field conditions (hot!) at some of his desert sites might make working in our local deserts seem like child's play. He is a really interesting person--I met him at a bird conference a few years ago and found him to be easy to talk to and nice. Later he offered to do a "friendly review" of a manuscript I was submitting on my master's research...a generous offer for a super-busy person. But wait, there's more...Joe makes time to pursue interests outside of academia...imagine that! When I met him he was talking about backpacking trips he had been on or was planning.

Here are links to his website.

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~patches/research.htm

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~eeob/resints/res_williams.html

Mark Chappell is his host, so if you want to meet with Joe individually, contact Mark to make an appointment in Joe's schedule (chappell at ucr.edu).

Once again, we'll be doing lunch at the Barn on Friday. Email me ahead if you want to guarantee a spot (Greg Russell I already have you down on the list).

Cheers,
Sharon
Sharon Coe
PhD Candidate