[Bgsa] Graduate Fellowship tax questions

Andrew Stoehr andrew.stoehr at email.ucr.edu
Thu Mar 31 10:35:31 PST 2005

Grad students,

Some of you may have had problems figuring out how to deal with your
taxes, especially if you are on fellowships because it usually isn't
clear what is and what is not taxable.  I wrote to Linda Scott,
Director of Student Affairs, Fellowships, and Employment in Grad
Division, to see if she could help or suggest somebody who could.  My
best interpretation of her response is "Screw you", but I've pasted the
exchange below in case some of you are able to get more out of it than
I did.

Andrew

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Linda G. Scott" <Linda.Scott1 at ucr.edu>
> Date: Thu Mar 31, 2005  10:11:29  AM US/Pacific
> To: Andrew Stoehr <andrew.stoehr at email.ucr.edu>
> Subject: Re: Graduate Fellowship tax questions
>
> Andrew,
> It's taken me a while to get back to you.  I sent your e-mail to a
> co-worker to see if she knew of anyone.  I never heard back from her
> and now she is gone.  I don't have any advice for you.
>
> Best,
>
> Linda
>
>> Dear Linda,
>>
>> I am a graduate student in Biology.  For the past several years I've
>> had various forms of fellowship support, in combination with various
>> forms of GSR support, and I've never quite known how to deal with
>> these things at tax time.   Is there anybody in Grad Division or
>> somewhere else on campus that you know of who could help me figure
>> out what sorts of things are considered taxable, what are tax
>> deductible expenses, etc?   My wife and I use a professional tax
>> preparer, and even she doesn't know these things (since I think she
>> never deals with students).
>>
>> Anybody you could suggest that I might contact would be helpful.
>> Thanks!
>>

>> Sincerely,
>>

>> Andrew M. Stoehr
>> Department of Biology
>> University of California
>> Riverside, CA 92521
>>
>> andrew.stoehr at email.ucr.edu
>>
>> 951-827-7023
>

> --
> Linda G. Scott
> Director, Student Affairs, Fellowships, and Employment
> Graduate Division, University of California, Riverside
> Riverside, CA  92521
>     (951) 827-3387
> gdivls at ucr.edu
> Linda.Scott1 at ucr.edu