[Bgsa] RE: FLOOR REPAIR SPIETH BASEMENT (Second Notice)

Terry, Mike MTerry at housing.UCR.edu
Tue Feb 22 15:07:15 PST 2005

Hi Dan.
I appreciate the diligence with which you are approaching this notification.
FYI, in the event there is no feedback from your constituents, Physical
Plant will proceed with the work at a time that you & I agree upon,
understanding that tacit consent has been provided by all involved.
Thanks,

Mike Terry
Asst. Director
Department of Physical Plant
951-827-4590
951-827-4596 (fax)
mike.terry at ucr.edu <mailto:mike.terry at ucr.edu>

  _____

From: Dan Rios [mailto:danrios at ucr.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 8:30 AM
Cc: paula.southard at ucr.edu; Darrell Ruml; Millie Garrison; David Wolf;
psycdf at ucr.edu; phplmmt at ucr.edu; linda.gryniuk at ucr.edu; Dennis Bailey;
bgsa at lists.ucr.edu
Subject: FLOOR REPAIR SPIETH BASEMENT (Second Notice)

Given the few responses I received from the initial distribution, this
message is sent again in an effort to elicit additional responses that will
assist us in scheduling the project.  Without your feedback, we have no way
of knowing if or when this project will interrupt your research activities
conducted in the vivarium and Spieth basement.  Thank you, Dan

TO:     BIOLOGY LAB PERSONNEL*
        CBN PERSONNEL - SPIETH*
        BIO GRAD STUDENTS
        CBN GRAD STUDENTS*
        VIVARIUM USERS

In an effort to minimize inconvenience to personnel, laboratory animals and
research activities in the Spieth basement, Physical Plant is inquiring as
to the best time to remove and replace the water damaged floor in the
hallway.  As I explained to Mike Terry, Assistant Director, there is no good
time.  Preferably, Physical Plant would like to defer the project until
after our wet weather and, given the upcoming AAALAC inspection in the fall,
the project should be completed prior to the end of the summer.

As I understand the scope of the work, the entire vinyl tile flooring in the
hallway (from the machine shop to the east end of the vivarium) will be
replaced.  None of the animal room floors sustained damage from flood waters
so, no work will be performed within these  rooms.  However, flooring in
Spieth 330 (department environmental chambers) and 334 (vivarium office) is
damaged and will be replaced.

The most disruptive portion of the project, in my opinion, will be the
abatement of the damaged floor which will be performed after regular
business hours.  In order to conduct this activity safely, the hallway will
be sealed off making entry to animal rooms impossible.  Unfortunately, we
will have to accommodate contract personnel during the installation process
which will be performed during regular business hours.

The following elements of the project should be considered:

1.  Spieth 330 and 334 will have to be cleared of all mobile furniture and
equipment to expose as much floor area as possible.

2.  Abatement work will be performed after regular business hours, typically
5 PM - 2 AM.

3.  At various times during the project, the area will be subject to dust,
noise and fumes from various solvents and adhesives (MSDS will be provided).
During activities that create dust and fumes, efforts will be employed to
augment building ventilation.

4.  When the installation process is focused at the west end of the hallway,
access to elevator #2, LSP basement and Spieth via the loading dock may be
prohibitive.

5.  Start to finish, the project will require 2 - 3 weeks to complete.

Therefore, as soon as possible, please send me your questions and concerns
regarding the above subject project.  Also, advise me of time frames between
May 1 and August 1, 2005 when your activities in the vivarium or other
portions of the basement may experience a negative impact from this work.
We will make every effort to work around your schedules.

Regards, Dan

Dan Rios
Facilities Coordinator/Laboratory Safety Officer
Departments of:
        Biology
        Cell Biology & Neuroscience
        UC Natural Reserves System