[BFASA] State of the Black Inland Empire Meeting Recap

Jamal J Myrick jamal.myrick at ucr.edu
Mon Oct 16 18:52:50 PDT 2023

Greetings BFASA Peeps,

ASP had the opportunity to participate in the State of the Black IE event this past Saturday and it was a fantastic event that I hope continues for years to come.  Below you'll find some action items as well as resources for your review. If anyone is interested, don't hesitate to reach out to discuss with me.

CALL TO ACTIONS:

1.       I.E. Urban League: We are void of our own Urban League in our region. Founded in 1910, and headquartered in New York City, the Urban League collaborates at the national and local levels with community leaders, policymakers, and corporate partners to elevate the standards of living for African Americans and other historically underserved groups.
a.       To join the coalition to launch the I.E. Urban League, visit: Join I.E. Urban League<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfCgX9H4ZlPAENqdT4xq8EsYTcI698wsGDqla1EmpoSynBkyw/viewform> . For more information, contact: InlandEmpireUrbanLeague at gmail.com<mailto:InlandEmpireUrbanLeague at gmail.com>

2.       Policy Proposals: Submit policy ideas to the Office of Assemblymember, Dr. Corey Jackson to help Assemblymember, Dr. Jackson prepare for the next legislative cycle.

3.       Reparations: After two years of extensive study done by our California Reparations Task Force, they have submitted their final report in June 2023. To read to this full report, visit California Reparations Report<https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/media/full-ca-reparations.pdf>. To endorse and show your support for this report visit: Support Reparations<https://supportreparations.org/>.

4.       Book Club: If you would like to sign up to receive updates for Dr. Corey Jackson’s first banned book club reading of “The 1619 Project”, visit: Book Club<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdnThqVpoA41uzHLWJyZ7ZyFZTfEwDj8-cBp8OhacrEkA0DVw/viewform>

RESOURCES:

1.       Data Report by University of California, Riverside’s CSI (Center for Social Innovation) covering the Black community in the I.E: Download Report: 2023 State of The Black I.E. | Center for Social Innovation (ucr.edu)<https://socialinnovation.ucr.edu/2023-IE-StateofBlack>
a.       Presenter: Karthick Ramakrishnan: karthick at ucr.edu<mailto:karthick at ucr.edu>

2.       Black Infant Health Data in the I.E. : View Data<https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CFH/DMCAH/surveillance/Pages/default.aspx#backtoTop>
a.       Presenter(s):
1.       Curley Palmer: CuPalmer at ruhealth.org<mailto:CuPalmer at ruhealth.org>
2.       Keiyana Carter: kei.carter at ruhealth.org<mailto:kei.carter at ruhealth.org>
3.       Elizabeth Amezcua: Elizabeth.Amezcua at dph.sbcounty.gov<mailto:Elizabeth.Amezcua at dph.sbcounty.gov>
4.       Kanisha Neal: Kanisha.Neal at dph.sbcounty.gov<mailto:Kanisha.Neal at dph.sbcounty.gov>
Have a great day.
Onward and Upward,

Jamal J. Myrick, Ed.D.
Director of African Student Programs
Pronouns: He/Him/His
900 University Ave.
133 Costo Hall
Riverside, CA, 92521
Schedule a meeting with me: https://bit.ly/2Qupy8g

Tel: (951) 827-5750

“Every moment is an opportunity for progression.”