[BFASA] FW: Black Latina play at CSUSB on 10/17 - FREE performance

Bfasa bfasa at ucr.edu
Wed Oct 11 14:15:31 PDT 2023

Dear UCR colleagues:

Hi! I am writing to you from the Department of Anthropology / Anthropology Museum at Cal State San Bernardino, where we opened the Afróntalo exhibition<https://www.csusb.edu/anthropology-museum/exhibitions/current-exhibition> last month, focused on Afrolatine identities, histories, and cultures.

As a part of exhibition-related programming we are hosting a performance of Black Latina<https://www.blacklatinamovement.com/blacklatinatheplay> the play by Black Latina Movement<https://www.blacklatinamovement.com/blacklatinatheplay> on Tuesday 10/17. This is a three-woman, trilingual production about being a Black Latina in the US, tackling both external and internal factors (media, society, viewpoints of family and friends) to provide a first-hand look inside the emotional experience of having one’s identity consistently ignored, erased, and split in half.  The performance is followed by a panel discussion with the actors, and a catered reception to encourage further discussion.

This marks the first time that Black Latina will be performed on the West Coast. Attendance is FREE and open to the public. I know it’s a bit of a slog to get to the CSUSB campus, but we really think this event is worth your time.

The performance takes place on-campus at CSUSB’s SMSU South Theatre from 4:30 – 6:30 pm on Tuesday October 17th. There is also a simulcast at the Palm Desert Campus (Oliphant Auditorium).

I am wondering if you would be willing to share this event with your networks through BFASA, LCFSG, and the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (or otherw who might be interested to attend?). We would also love for you to join us yourself!

Anyone can register for a FREE TICKET HERE<https://csusb.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_daHifrjhUikfVuC> [https://csusb.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_daHifrjhUikfVuC; you can also register yourself!] -- While registration is not required, it is recommended – seating is limited, and registered guests will be seated first, at 4pm. After 4pm, entrance to the theatre will be first arrived, first seated.

Please reach out with any questions. Thank you for your time and consideration! Arianna.

Dr. Arianna Huhn
Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology
Director, Anthropology Museum
Cal State San Bernardino
909-537-5505 | arianna.huhn at csusb.edu<mailto:arianna.huhn at csusb.edu>

[cid:image001.png at 01D9FAED.D9ECD3B0]