[BFASA] Call for Interests for Black Student Experience Workgroup

Bfasa bfasa at ucr.edu
Fri Jul 7 15:31:29 PDT 2023

Hello Everyone!

Please see the message below from Dr. Myrick.

Greetings Black Family,

I hope you’re feeling good as you return to campus from a mini vacay. I’m reaching out to let you all know that I will be reconvening the Black Student Experience Workgroup for the 2023-2024. As I reflect on this past year, one of the gaps that came up for me is that there is a need for various offices/people who are supporting our Black scholars to come together outside of the silos to discuss issues, but more importantly to make concerted efforts to advance the experiences of Black folx on this campus. Why is this work critical? Because our Black scholars/faculty/staff need it! Due to the work of the prior committee, we were able to implement a summer bridge experience, advocate and secure the inaugural Black Student Success Coordinator position, and more.

I know that folx are tapped and already working a lot at the moment, and I wanted to check in to see who would be interested in serving on this committee. I'm looking to have a meeting within the next three weeks to discuss next steps. Some details:

Time commitment

  *   Meetings 1.5 hours monthly as a body
  *   Subcommittee meetings: 1.5 hours bi weekly
  *   Outside work: 2 hours per month
  *   Includes not limited to researching, checking in, surveys, etc.
  *   Total commitment: Approx. 6.5 hours per month
  *   Attendance must be at 75 percent to continue serving on the committee (both subcommittees/large committees)

Reporting Structure:

  *   Chairs report annually to VCSA/Provost
  *   BSEWG will report out on quarterly basis to campus community for transparency/feedback

     *   Meetings set at the beginning of the quarter (e.g., Friday of Week 8 for academic year) and promoted to the community via VCSA/ASP/BFASA.

Who’s housing/archiving?

•       Minutes must include the following: who was present, start/end time/ agenda

  *   Subcommittee meetings minutes must be taken and shared with the larger group.
  *   Agenda will be decided by the chairs and at least three days prior to set meeting, the agenda will be sent out to committee for any additions or changes.
  *   Information will be archived in UCR Special Collections section as well as ASP website.

If you’re interested, please do not hesitate to let me know before July 14th and I’ll follow up with you via email.

If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to reach out.

Onward and Upward,

Jamal J. Myrick, Ed.D.
Director of African Student Programs
Pronouns: He/Him/His
900 University Ave.
133 Costo Hall
Riverside, CA, 92521
Schedule a meeting with me: https://bit.ly/2Qupy8g

Tel: (951) 827-5750

“Every moment is an opportunity for progression.”