[BFASA] FW: Welcome to Aurea Lawson (New AD for ASP)

Bfasa bfasa at ucr.edu
Wed Aug 9 11:49:17 PDT 2023

Hi BFASA Family,

We have a new family member with us! African Student Programs is pleased to announce that Aurea Lawson has accepted the position of Assistant Director of African Student Programs! She began her role on July 31, 2023. Originally from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma,  Aurea moved to California in 2014 and worked at Vital Link as an Event and Program Manager where she supported students in securing jobs and internships. Prior to working at Vital Link, Aurea worked with students at the Science Museum Oklahoma. Currently, Aurea is wrapping up her master’s degree in Executive Management of Business Administration from Texas Southern University and is looking to make an impact here on our campus! Her goal as Assistant Director is to help increase the engagement of Black Scholars at UCR, provide the essential resources and maintain ASP for authentic self-expression, and help our scholars identify and walk in their purpose as leaders.

I want to express my gratitude to Shonte Thomas, former Associate Dean of Students,  for her consistent support in this lengthy hiring process.

I would also like to thank the members of the search committee (Victorino Moreira, Keona Henderson, Omar Aziz, JP Wiafe)  for their diligence and hard work in seeing this process through.

Please join me in extending a warm welcome to Aurea Lawson! You can send her an email at aurea.lawson at ucr.edu<mailto:aurea.lawson at ucr.edu>.

Please make sure to add her to the listserv so she can receive emails.

[Aurea Lawson Headshot - Aurea Lawson (1).jpg]
Onward and Upward,

Jamal J. Myrick, Ed.D.
Director of African Student Programs
Pronouns: He/Him/His
900 University Ave.
133 Costo Hall
Riverside, CA, 92521
Schedule a meeting with me: https://bit.ly/2Qupy8g

Tel: (951) 827-5750

[cid:9A26EE60-DBB7-4B13-80D3-00C8BBC86953]

“Every moment is an opportunity for progression.”
[cid:image003.png at 01D792A9.36B3F290]