[ASA_PEWS] Iran Webinar, and How to Support the Campaign to Free Iran's Political Prisoners

Alessandro Morosin amoro001 at ucr.edu
Tue Jul 5 19:58:16 PDT 2022

Hello colleagues and comrades:

Here is a link to the webinar panel I recently hosted at DePauw University:
International Roundtable June 10, 2022: "Solidarity with Iran's Political
Prisoners"
<https://www.freeiranspoliticalprisonersnow.org/event-june-10-2022-depauw-roundtable>
Speakers:
Shahrzad Mojab, Hadi Ghaemi, Satar Rahmani, Larry Everest, Mariam Claren

We have learned that some 100 political prisoners were executed in Iran
last month alone--- mostly by hanging. Some experts estimate that Iran may
be on the verge of another popular revolution. The determination of Iran's
prisoners and their families has been very inspiring to me. Clearly we can
learn from this kind of courage here in the U.S., and those of us living in
the U.S. have a particular moral obligation to support liberation struggles
in Iran. International solidarity with Iran's political prisoners is
mounting, such as from NASUWT (the National Teachers Union of the UK)

I am supporting this *International Emergency Campaign* with fundraising
efforts to publish a full-page ad ASAP in the upcoming special issue of Ms.
Magazine because I believe this can help save lives. As scholars of global
inequality and social movements, please join me in supporting this
campaign!

*For details, click here:*
*https://www.freeiranspoliticalprisonersnow.org/
<https://www.freeiranspoliticalprisonersnow.org/>*

>From the Campaign:

*"Ms.* is a distinguished feminist magazine founded by Gloria Steinem, one
of the first prominent signers of the Emergency Appeal to Free Iran's
Political Prisoners Now.  *Ms*. has consistently distinguished itself in
putting the struggle of Iran’s women political prisoners in front of its
readers over years... Today, in the midst of the historic attack on women’s
humanity in the form of the attack on abortion rights in the US, and in the
face of the uprising that has begun in response, it is critical to make the
real-life cross-border link between the struggle worldwide for the dignity,
rights and liberation for all women, and all of humanity..."

*Best regards,*

*Alessandro*

--
Alessandro Morosin
Visiting Assistant Professor of Sociology, DePauw University

Recent scholarship:

(2022) *Paramilitaries in Oaxaca, Mexico: Enforcing Accumulation in a
Geo-Strategic Region*. in Jasmin Hristov, Jeb Sprague-Silgado and Aaron
Tauss (Eds). *Paramilitary Groups and the State under Globalization:
Political Violence, Elites, and Security*
<https://www.routledge.com/Paramilitary-Groups-and-the-State-under-Globalization-Political-Violence/Hristov-Sprague-Tauss/p/book/9780367233532>*.
*Routledge: London.

(2020) Comunalidad, Guendaliza'a and anti-mine mobilizations in the Isthmus
of Tehuantepec.
<https://journals.librarypublishing.arizona.edu/jpe/article/id/2256/> *Journal
of Political Ecology*, *27*(1), 917-938.