[Tlc] TLC-conference

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Mon Jun 8 15:34:16 PDT 2009

Forwarded from H-Asia and the Burma Research List.
Thanks,
justin

> Fwd from H-ASIA
> June 8, 2009
>
> Call for papers: Southeast Asia Between China and Japan Symposium - The University of Hong Kong 29-30 June 2009
> From: V.E.Teo at lse.ac.uk
>

> The University of Hong Kong
>
> Sino-Japanese Relations Research Symposium
> 29-30 June 2009
>
> Southeast Asia Between China and Japan
>
> For both China and Japan, Southeast Asia has traditionally never been a major priority on their respective foreign policy agenda. Notwithstanding this, Southeast Asia's interactions with China and Japan are relatively well documented and extend well beyond contemporary history. China is the source of the largest group of migrants into Southeast Asia for the last two hundred years, and has cast a shadow over the politics, commerce and culture of the region. In the immediate aftermath of the Pacific War, Southeast Asians perceived China as a major source of instability before the country's reforms recast it as one of the region's main growth engines.  Japan's entry as a major player in the region left a deep and indelible impression on the strategic psyche of Southeast Asians through its brutal and efficient campaign during the Second World War. Japanese capital and firms replaced the Imperial Army during the Cold War, and for much of the latter, Japan played a tremendous and !
!
significant role in the economic reconstruction and buildup of the countries in the region. The Fukuda doctrine saw the emergence of Japan as the de facto regional leader during the 1970s and 1980s, before the rise of China eroded Japan's position during the 1990s.

> Contextualized against the current development of Sino-Japanese relations, Southeast Asia is becoming an important sphere whereby the Chinese and the Japanese are manoeuvring for influence, often not so much to influence events within the region but more so to stave off political gains and diplomatic inroads made by the other. In other words, the increasing geopolitical rivalry between China and Japan has taken on an extra-regional dimension. While undeniably Southeast Asia as a bloc is at the forefront of regionalization efforts, this is probably because this is the only way for these smaller nations to have a handle on developments in Northeast Asia, but ironically Southeast Asia (or ASEAN) has had the unintended consequence of ameliorating tensions in Sino-Japanese relations (however little). We might assume that this state of affairs would continue but truly we should rethink the linkages the region and its constituents have with China and Japan. Southeast Asia as a regi!
!
on is hardly monolithic in character - given the diversity in terms of geopolitical realities, socioeconomic disparity through to religious and demographic differences. Each country in Southeast Asia perceives and weighs their relations with China and Japan differently, and therefore has divergent interests and aspirations in their engagement with them. Their respective bilateral relations with the United States also further complicate their relations with China and Japan, as individual interests need not necessarily be in congruence with the region as a bloc.

justinm at ucr.edu