[Tlc] T-AAS panel call - Panel Proposal (participants needed)

zehner1234 at aol.com zehner1234 at aol.com
Fri Jun 5 23:12:39 PDT 2009

With strong encouragement from Justin McDaniel (thanks, Justin), I am presenting the following panel proposal in response to his query:

PRECIS OF AN ABSTRACT: [Title to come later]
At the end of the first decade of the twenty-first century, Thailand was a country embroiled in two major internal conflicts. One was a multi-vectored conflict, beginning roughly 2006,?between the "reds" and "yellows" over what to do about ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and, quite possibly, over what form the country's governance should take in the coming years. The other, beginning roughly 2004,?is a conflict over what should be the relationship of Thailand's three predominantly Malay Muslim provinces to the rest of the nation, and, quite possibly, what form those provinces should take as a society, a polity, and a socio-religious community in the coming years. The origins of both conflicts have been traced to the governance style of former Prime Minister Thaksin, and to the reactions that style engendered among both supporters and opponents. But rarely have the two conflicts been placed in conversation with each other, neither in the media nor in popular imaginations. This paper will attempt to do so, not so much by parallels of events, but, rather, by stepping back to look at the broader pictures, their relationships to each other, and their potential implications for the future of Thailand as an interactive set of social polities.

I think that this should be done in the "spirit" of a round-table, but the "official" format will probably be as a "panel," to encourage some serious thinking, research, and writing by the participants -- even though the actual oral "discussions" in the session should rise above the details in the ways indicated above.

I also would like for participants to be willing to interact with each other both prior to and perhaps even after the panel, so that the discussions can build on each others' insights rather than being just a collection of papers being spoken in the same room.

In addition to this announcement on the list, I encourage listmates to pass the note on to others who may not be reading this (note: if you know someone who might be good, please DON'T assume she is on the list).

Finally, though I know we are all hoping for some participants on the level of the Duncan McCargos of the world (to name just one -- and I hope he won't mind), I also hope to include some newer voices, as I think the mix of perspectives and disciplines would be good for the discussion. (besides which, some of the "big names" were probably already spoken for months ago)

Finally, if we get too many responses (which would be nice), we could think of subdividing things into separate panels. Under the new program rules, we CAN'T do a "double panel." But I'll bet there are still creative ways to create the equivalent, if we really want to and the program committees are cooperative.

If you are interested, or know somebody who you would like to suggest, please notify me and/or Justin McDaniel ASAP, including a brief description of the expected contribution and how it contributes to the above topic and goals. Suggestions for revising (and titling) the above statement are also welcome. The paragraph already uses up 205 of our allotted 250 words, so there is not much room for extra words. But there's always a possibility of tweaking. Thanks for your interest, and am hoping to hear from you, whether or not you are in a position to participate personally.

-- Edwin Zehner, Visiting Fellow, Southeast Asia Program, Cornell University (2008-2009)
Visiting Teaching Fellow, St. Lawrence University, 2009-2010
email - zehner1234 at aol.com