[Tlc] L-sentencing for prisoner

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Fri Jun 5 08:46:43 PDT 2009

FYI.
Thanks,
justin

2009-0605 - New Tang Dynasty TV - Laos: British Woman to Spend Life Behind Bars

http://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/ns_asia/2009-06-04/830244328215.html

New Tang Dynasty Television

Friday, June 5, 2009

Home > News > Asia Pacific
Laos: British Woman to Spend Life Behind Bars
6/4/2009 1:01:49 PM44

An update on a story we brought you yesterday. A British woman may spend the rest of her life behind bars for smuggling drugs into Laos.

Samantha Orobator, a British woman being held on drug trafficking charges in Laos was sentenced to life in jail yesterday.

She was caught in possession of more than enough heroin to get a death sentence. But somehow she became pregnant while behind bars. The law in Laos says that pregnant women cannot be executed.

[Chantkaly Duangvilai, Deputy Chief, Civil Court]:
"As the defendant is pregnant, the judge has reduced her penalty from execution to life imprisonment."

Orobator appeared distressed as police put her in a van to return to prison.

A British diplomat who attended the trial spoke to reporters.

[Daniel Painter, British Diplomat]:
"If Samantha has any concern about fair trial issues then we can take it up with the Lao government."

Britain and Laos signed a prisoner transfer agreement on May 7, which could allow Orobator to serve most of her sentence at home. She has 21 days to appeal.

© 2002-2009 New Tang Dynasty Television. All Rights Reserved.

justinm at ucr.edu