[Tlc] L-new Olympic games

Txiabneeb Vaj txiabneeb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 06:55:53 PDT 2008

Greeting Dr. McDaniel,

Hope you're well rested from visiting to motherland Ireland. Since we're
reading about sport in SEA and the 2009 SEA Games I just wanted to share
this with all of TLC's members on the listserv.

In an effort to have the sport of Sepak Takraw be included in the summer
Olympic games I call upon your assistance. For the last 15 years or so the
US Sepak Takraw families have been well represented to mos of the SEA Sepak
Takraw's international events, including the famouse Kings Cup in Bangkok.
Unfortunately most games played are represented by SEA descents, mostly from
the Diaspora communities; it has always been disappointed to the SEA and
other international crowds every time they come to see US teams played and
expecting to see European descents members, but always just the Asian
descent players. I have tried to volunteer my times as much as I can, but
there still isn't any formal effort; there're were at one time that a
national organization ran for about 2-4 years, it was called US Takraw
Federation, but that have since unfolded. Thus I call on the TLC members on
this listserv to ask if anyone would be interested to participate in putting
the national/international sepak takraw's interest of the US on a formal
basis; incorporating it into a functioning national 501 (c) (3) organization
so that we may have organized efforts in providing the education it needs to
ensure a more successful future for the US Sepak Takraw family.

These are the few sites, with exception to the Canadian's, are organized
loosely and locally:

http://www.takrawusa.com/index.html
http://www.a2xtreme.com/2000/0012.htm
http://www.takrawcanada.com/?q=2004

If anyone is interested in supporting the sport of Sepak Takraw please
contact:

Tzianeng Vang
Email: txiabneeb at gmail.com
Phone: 651.238.5300

Respectfully submitted,

-Tzianeng

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <justinm at ucr.edu> wrote:

> FYI. On the lighter side...
> Thanks,
> justin
>

> 2008-0428 - Bernama - Laos Want Sports Like Shuttlecock, Fin Swimming In
> 2009 SEA Games
>
> http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_sports.php?id=329433
>
> Sports
> April 28, 2008 14:28 PM
>
> Laos Want Sports Like Shuttlecock, Fin Swimming In 2009 SEA Games
>
> By Jaiarajo Letchumanan
>
> KUALA LUMPUR, April 28 (Bernama) -- The initial 22 sports proposed by
> Laos, the host of the 25th SEA Games, has come under fire from a number of
> countries, including Malaysia.
>
> Laos, picked to host the 2009 SEA Games, have indicated they might only
> host about 25 sports, a far cry from the 43 medal sports and two
> demonstration sports hosted by 2007 host, Korat, Thailand.
>
> Sports like shuttlecock, merely a traditional game played by ethnic groups
> in Asian countries like Vietnam, China, Laos, Cambodia and fin swimming have
> been proposed, instead of weightlifting, snooker or basketball.
>
> The sport of shuttlecock which resembles a hoop sepaktakraw match, uses
> feathers clustered together just like a shuttlecock used in badminton but
> played with the feet.
>
> The shuttlecock game is divided into two basic types - the artistic
> (points for the most difficult moves with the feather ball) and the team
> play (played with a net in the centre and two players on each side, juggling
> and smashing the feather ball with their feet) and points counted just like
> in a volleyball game).
>
> Apart from shuttlecock and fin swimming, aquatics (swimming & diving),
> athletics, badminton, boxing, football, golf, judo, karate, sepaktakraw,
> shooting, table tennis, taekwondo, tennis, volleyball, wrestling, wushu,
> muay, petanque, pencak silat, and traditional Boat Race are on the initial
> list.
>
> "The host country put forward their initial list of 22 sports with another
> three yet to be decided but we (Malaysia) and a number of countries who
> attended the SEA Games Council meeting feel that traditional sports should
> be done away with and regularly-featured sports included.
>
> "We have proposed sports like squash, basketball, weightlifting, hockey,
> snooker among others while other countries have also submitted their
> proposed list. The final list is expected to be out by November," Olympic
> Council of Malaysia vice-president Low Beng Choo who attended the meeting in
> Laos last week, told Bernama when contacted.
>
> She said that Laos had also indicated plans to build a new sports complex
> just for the Games.
>
> "Building an entirely new sports complex is good news as they can include
> more sports featured in the Games," added Low.
>
> -- BERNAMA
>
> Copyright (c) 2008 BERNAMA. All rights reserved.
> [...]

Peb tij kwv koom ib kaus mom!