[Tlc] FW: Santikaro reflections

Michael Montesano seamm at nus.edu.sg
Tue May 29 10:21:06 PDT 2007

 <http://www.bangkokpost.com/bkp/images/logo.gif>
My Best Friend Living and learning under Tan Ajahn Buddhadasa

To mark the 101st anniversary of the birth of the late Buddhadasa
Bhikkhu today, his former disciple and translator looks back on the
precious years he spent

with Thailand's great spiritual teacher

In my very personal estimation, Ajahn Buddhadasa Bhikkhu has been the
most significant, creative and profound Thai Buddhist teacher of modern
times. Of course, this perspective is not necessarily neutral or
objective. I had the great fortune to live with him at Suan Mokkh for
the final nine years of his life _ nine years which were the most
significant of mine. I lived there in order to study and train with him,
a richly inspiring and joyful experience.

I arrived at Suan Mokkh at a time when a regular translator was needed.
My years in the Peace Corp had equipped me to fill that role, one I
count as a great blessing in my life. The experience of having an
impeccably profound exposition of Buddha Dharma passed on to me from Tan
Ajahn was an incredible education.

I also led monthly meditation retreats at Suan Mokkh International for
many years. This was largely possible because I had regular access to
Tan Ajahn's guidance, through hundreds of hours of Dharma discussions,
especially concerning mindfulness with breathing. The recordings of
these conversations are my most valued material treasure.

In this space, I would like to convey a few of the things from my
relationship with Tan Ajahn that have meant the most to me.

Everything in terms of Dharma

Tan Ajahn had a deep and refined ability to see all things in terms of
Dharma, and also with a wry sense of humour. His perspectives on the
workings of society, the education of children, art and poetry,
religious traditions and rituals, meditation practice, the running of a
monastery _ all of these were grounded in Dharma.

In teaching Dharma, Tan Ajahn was always grounded in the basics of
dukkha (suffering) and the end of dukkha, idappaccayata (conditionality)
as well as Dharma as duty. Early in my training, he advised me to
memorise the Buddha's words, saying, ''Now, as well as in the past, I
teach only dukkha and the utter quenching of dukkha.'' What a
wonderfully simple, direct way to remember what it's all about! Though
I've still not arrived at the bottom of dukkha, I've made progress, and
for that I owe him a tremendous debt.

He urged us always to consider things in the light of idappaccayata. All
things arise, do their dance on the stage of the world, and pass away
due to causes and conditions; in turn, they are causes and conditions
for other things. This flow of conditionality is what we call life, the
universe, or truth. This liberating vision has helped me to escape
tendencies towards black and white thinking, blaming others for problems
and egoism, and has helped me to develop a greater sense of our mutual
existence as beings in samsara (the endless cycle of birth and suffering
and death and rebirth).

When it came to Dharma study, Tan Ajahn was an exceedingly careful
thinker. It wasn't enough to memorise and repeat the Buddha's teachings;
one had to consider the meaning carefully and deeply. He gave great
importance to how we use language, admitting it often made understanding
Dharma more difficult.

As his translator, I had many opportunities to discuss not only Pali
words, but the English translations for them. Embarrassingly, for an
English honours graduate, there were times when he would suggest a
translation that I was quizzical about, only to find after looking it up
in the dictionary that he understood subtleties of the word that I had
overlooked.

He also conveyed a loyalty to the Pali suttas that could only befit
someone who has taken the name Buddhadasa. This loyalty was deeper than
mere adherence to the printed words. He read the suttas critically and
with an open mind, always inquiring what the words had to do with the
end of dukkha. He didn't gloss over the contradictions of Theravada
Buddhism. He took time to read and re-read, and to inquire which of the
traditions and interpretations fitted with the major threads and themes
of the Pali teachings. Which were relevant to the ending of dukkha? Did
they partake of the emptiness that the Buddha declared were part and
parcel of his teaching?

Work as Dharma

For a ''Servant of the Buddha'', work is an important theme. As Dharma,
work is a matter of serving the Triple Gem (the Buddha, his teachings
and the Buddhist monkhood) rather than serving the common defilements of
ambition, greed or fear. When work is spiritual practice it is duty in
the highest sense of the word, that is, it responds to Dharma, to the
reality of nature and our nature as human beings. ''Duty'', perhaps the
most ancient meaning of Dharma, is not what is imposed by religious
tradition, social pressure or economic bribery; it arises from clear
sighted awareness of the reality of each moment.

This was and remains a powerful challenge for me _ how do we work
without fixating on goals and tasks? How do we let go of our desire to
be productive in order to impress or win approval? How do we work
without anxiety? How do we balance work with the other needs of our
life? How do we work without making it an ego project? Even more
crucially, how do we approach work as fun?

Sanuk is a wonderful Thai word. As I understand it, sanuk expresses a
sense that anything worth doing ought to be done pleasurably. This is a
cultural art that Tan Ajahn expressed, both to remind Thais of their
heritage in the face of the capitalist onslaught and to protect work
from wage slavery. So today, as I teach in the US and work on Liberation
Park, a small rural Dharma refuge inspired by Suan Mokkh, I call on his
words to remind us to enjoy what we are doing, and to stop and rethink
when we find ourselves pressured, stressed out, or dissatisfied. We
remember Tan Ajahn's teachings and remind ourselves that work is Dharma,
is natural duty. Work and Dharma need not be at odds with each other;
work is how we navigate the world in support of liberation, both in and
from this same world.

Dharma as natural principle

There were times at Suan Mokkh when I was annoyed or discomfited by the
behaviour of other foreigners, by the tourists and travellers whom I
judged as ignorant or oblivious to the subtleties of Thai culture. My
knee-jerk response was that ''we need to make rules for these people.''
>From time to time I'd approach Tan Ajahn with a proposal for this or
that rule. Inevitably he smiled, usually he didn't say much, sometimes
he chuckled, but he never took my attempts at rules seriously, except
when I was stubborn enough to argue the point. Then, he would point out
that making rules for others amounts to trying to force them to be the
way we want them to be and that this helps neither them nor us. I
learned from him a capacity to relax such rigidity when more was at
stake.

He considered kindness and compassion towards others as more important
than rigidity about Vinaya (monastic discipline). I came to see this
attitude as being kind and compassionate towards ourselves. Though he
was not sloppy about the Vinaya, he knew that uptight monks are not
happy monks, nor are they very good Dharma teachers. That was a lesson I
needed.

Yet, being relaxed about rules did not mean irresponsibility or merely
going with the flow. Tan Ajahn exemplified a high sense of
responsibility, not only for himself, but for his culture, his country,
and the world. The Dharma could take care of itself, but the expression
of it in human society was a crucial responsibility for him. Tan Ajahn
stuck to the highest ideals, envisioning a society in which selfishness
no longer reigns and the world is truly at peace. He wasn't afraid to
stand by these principles, yet he took them one day at a time, with
humour, humility and respect for others. I strive to emulate his
down-to-earth idealism.

Exemplar of emptiness

Since I looked up to Tan Ajahn as my teacher, I often expected him to
tell me what to do: Should I accept this speaking invitation? What
should I translate? How much should I meditate? Although he was always
willing to discuss the options, he refrained from ever making decisions
for me. Usually he just chuckled and suggested that I grow up and decide
for myself.

In my more immature moments I would bring him not dilemmas and
decisions, but a litany of complaints or requests that he ''fix''
something or other. He never opposed my foolishness, anger and
stubbornness; rather, my egoistic spewings would disperse in his
non-opposition. Instead of amplifying my reactions in another egoistic
mirror, he was like talking to emptiness. He related to everything at
Suan Mokkh this way. He wasn't there to tell people what to do, to be
their guru, or to make everything better. Instead, he set an example of
spiritual maturity. He behaved towards us in a way that challenged us to
grow up.

As I look at the pictures of Tan Ajahn in my current dwelling, and think
back to those wonderful years, I feel a great deal of love for the best
friend I'll ever have. I've been blessed with many wonderful friends,
yet Tan Ajahn gave me a friendship which is deeper than the rest. Even
more, his friendship, which was about intimacy with Dharma, has enriched
all my other friendships. I sincerely hope that I can find ways to keep
this understanding and experience of Dharma alive in our world,
especially here in the US where there is so much fear, confusion, and
suffering.

Santikaro lived with Buddhadasa Bhikkhu during the last nine years of
Buddhadasa Bhikkhu's life and became his primary translator. Ordained as
a Theravada Bhikkhu in 1985, Santikaro spent most of his monastic life
at Suan Mokkh. During this time he led many meditation retreats, taught
throughout Thailand and led Dawn Kiam, a small monastic community for
foreigners. He returned to the US in 2000 and currently resides at
Liberation Park in rural Wisconsin with his partner, Jo Marie.
Liberation Park is a small refuge modelled after Suan Mokkh

(c) Copyright <http://www.bangkokpost.com/policy/copyright.html> The
Post Publishing Public Co., Ltd. 2005
Privacy Policy <http://www.bangkokpost.com/policy/index.html>
Comments to: Webmaster <mailto:webmaster at bangkokpost.co.th>
Advertising enquiries to: Internet Marketing
<mailto:advertising at bangkokpost.co.th>
Printed display ad enquiries to: Display Ads
<mailto:adoversea at bangkokpost.co.th>
Full contact details: Contact us
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/contact.html>