[Tlc] jim thompson research

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Tue Feb 13 14:29:52 PST 2007

FYI. Below, a request from our newest member.

My name is Joshua Kurlantzick, and I am a Southeast Asia
scholar at the
Carnegie Endowment, a leading Washington think-tank. I am
writing a
scholarly biography of Jim Thompson, the former silk
businessman who
lived in Thailand for two decades and then disappeared while
hiking in
Malaysia
in 1967. I have signed a contract with John Wiley publishing
house to
write the book, and this will be the first substantial,
scholarly full-
length biography of Thompson in thirty years. It will attempt
to use
Thompson's life, and the lives of several other Americans who
stayed in
Thailand after WWII, as prisms to examine the broader tensions
in the
US-Thai relationship.

If anyone knew Thompson at all between 1944-1967, or has
insight into
his life, please contact me at 202 939 2259 or at
jkurlantzick at ceip.org  If you wish to speak about Thompson
confidentially, I promise to conduct confidential interviews,
in which
your name would never be mentioned. You can see more about my
background
at

http://carnegieendowment.org/experts/index.cfm?fa=expert_view&expert_id=

2617 Humanities Building