[Tlc] FW: News: Historian wants country called 'Siam'

ralbritt at olemiss.edu ralbritt at olemiss.edu
Tue Apr 3 08:20:59 PDT 2007

       Michael,
   I find this debate quite interesting, but am not deeply
immersed enough in    the history to know all the
implications. My perception has been almost the    opposite.
Many peoples refer to the "Siamese" historically as a
"racial"    group, especially the Malay people of southern
Thailand. One of the most    interesting comments I ever
heard was from a young woman in southern Thailand    who was
discussing her "identity." She said, "In the final analysis,
we are    all Thai." I understood that to be a "national
identity" rather than a racial    one and the references to
"the Siamese people" have always seemed more racist    than
references to "the Thai." Can you enlighted me a bit here.
   Thanks,
   Bob

> The Nation, 3 April 07
>
> Historian wants country called 'Siam'
>
> A historian of Southeast Asian studies has launched a
> "Siam not Thailand" campaigning, urging constitution
> drafters to revert to the name used in the Kingdom's first
> constitution.
>
> "People who have been part of our country have different
> ethnic, linguistic and cultural identities. Therefore, to
>    reflect historical fact and the present reality, the
name