[Tlc] jobs, fellowships, conferences, journals

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Fri Sep 29 17:58:52 PDT 2006

(1)
Academic Position: World / Asian History

The Department of History at the University of Wisconsin-La
Crosse invites applicants for a tenure-track assistant
professorship, with a specialty in Asian history, beginning
Fall 2007. Our department seeks foremost an engaging teacher
and scholar who can inspire students in History. The
successful candidate will be able to teach World History and
Asian History courses.

Teaching responsibilities include three courses per semester,
including one or two sections of General Education World
History, a sophomore level Asian survey, and upper level
courses in the area of expertise.   Minimum qualification:
Ph.D. required by July 15, 2007, teaching experience and a
record of scholarship preferred. UW-La Crosse is an ideal
location for faculty who seek to integrate their teaching,
research, and service activities.

Our department provides students with a solid foundation in a
world history curriculum, with specialties in selected time
periods, themes, and subjects.  Department members are leaders
in history education and public history. The department
participates in several interdisciplinary programs: Latin
American Studies, Women’s Studies, and Archaeology, for
example. The department is committed to being an inclusive,
supportive community for all its members.  We especially
encourage applicants who will enhance the department’s
commitment to create a diverse, culturally sensitive teaching
and learning community.

The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is a comprehensive
university with more than 9,000 students in a variety of
liberal arts and professional programs. The university is
promoting study abroad activities for all undergraduate
students. The university is located in a mid-sized city in one
of the nation’s most beautiful scenic regions, within easy
driving distance of several metropolitan areas and major
university libraries. The cost of living is below that of
comparable communities in most of the country, and affordable
housing is plentiful. We offer a competitive salary and
excellent benefits.

As an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, the
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is engaged in an effort to
be a leader in Wisconsin’s movement toward increased diversity
and inclusiveness. Women, persons of color and individuals
with a disability are encouraged to apply. If you have a
special need / accommodation to aid your participation in our
hiring process, please contact Professor Buffton (see address
below).

To find out more about our department, visit
www.uwlax.edu/History. To learn more about the position and
the university, visit www.uwlax.edu. To apply for this
position, send a letter of application along with current
vita, transcripts, and three letters of recommendation to
Professor Deborah Buffton, History Department, University of
Wisconsin-La Crosse, La Crosse, WI 54601 by November 1, 2006.

(2)
FULBRIGHT-HAYS DOCTORAL DISSERTATION RESEARCH ABROAD PROGRAM
(DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION) (UPDATED)

Targeted Fields: Humanities. Social Sciences. School of Arts
and Architecture. School of Education and Information Studies.
School of Management. Specifically fields related to modern
foreign languages, cultural, and area studies.

Open To: Students Working on Doctoral Dissertation.

Citizenship: Open only to U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

Eligibility Requirements: Must be advanced to doctoral
candidacy at time of tenure, plan a teaching career at the
college level in the U.S. and have language skills necessary
to carry out research. Those planning careers in government,
international development, and the professions are also
eligible. Application must be submitted electronically using
e-Application through the e-GRANTS system at
http://e-grants.ed.gov.

Stipend: Awards range from $15,000 to $60,000 for travel,
living and research expenses.

Deadline: 11/3/2006 New UCLA Campus Deadline.

Program Description: Approximately 150 fellowships for
dissertation research abroad in any country outside of Western
Europe. Support is provided for 6 to 12 months abroad. Must be
nominated by the UCLA Graduate Division.

For More Information:
Liz Taylor
Outreach, Diversity, & Fellowships
UCLA Graduate Division
1252 Murphy Hall
Box 951419
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1419
(310) 825-3623
ltaylor at gdnet.ucla.edu
http://www.ed.gov/programs/iegpsddrap/index.html; avail 10/10/06

(3)
2007 PH.D. & SENIOR FELLOWSHIP COMPETITION FOR RESEARCH IN
CAMBODIA

Application deadline is November 15th 2006

The Center for Khmer Studies (CKS) invites applications from
U.S. scholars, who wish to conduct their research in Cambodia
and neighboring countries for the CKS/Council of American
Overseas Research Centers (CAORC) Fellowships.

·       Ph.D. Fellowships are available to candidates from all
disciplines to conduct doctoral dissertation research in
Cambodia for up to eleven months.
·       Senior Fellowships – long-term (six to nine months)
and short-term (four months or less) – are available for
scholars who hold a Ph.D.

The fellowships are open to U.S. citizens only who are
doctoral candidates or scholars who have already earned their
Ph.D.  Scholars can pursue research in other countries in
mainland Southeast Asia (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam) provided
that part of their research is undertaken in Cambodia.

For further information and application forms, please see the
Center for Khmer Studies website:  http://www.khmerstudies.org/

(4)
Call for Proposals
Conference: "The Map and the World"

Two locations, two dates: February 18, 2007 and June 22-23, 2007

University of California, Riverside and National Museum of
Bangkok/Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand

Papers are invited from those working in religion, history,
art, and cartography that re-examine images of the universe
through the lens of Buddhist cosmology. These images may
include maps, diagrams, art or artifacts that embody spatial
representations created in Buddhist terms. Topics may explore
Buddhist concepts but are also encouraged to seek the changes,
cross-influences, and conflicts arising from Buddhist contact
with non-Buddhist forms and perspectives. Proposals that
engage questions related to historical or contemporary
technologies of spatial representation will be considered, and
may address a range of forms: printed and painted maps,
architectural forms, murals, steles, calendars, horoscopes,
inscriptions, amulets, tattoo, astrological and tantric
diagrams. Through the varied responses and examples arising in
a range of Buddhist traditions, participants hope to trace the
shifting negotiation of
evolving understandings.

Proposals of up to 300 words, together with CV, email,
address, phone, and fax information, should be sent by email
to Program Co-chairs at the following addresses. Limited
support may be available for qualified graduate student
participants.

Participants can choose to attend one of two conferences (in
Riverside, CA or Bangkok) or both. Please indicate which venue
you would wish to present your paper. Participants who wish to
go to both conferences can submit two different (albeit
related) paper proposals.

Justin McDaniel, University of California, Riverside
Email: justinm at ucr.edu
and
Pattaratorn Chirapravati, California State University, Sacramento
Email: pchirapravati at csus.edu

Proposals due: October 10, 2006

Acceptance Notification: December 1, 2006

(5)
Attention Students Specializing in Southeast Asia: Have Your
Recent Research Work Published!

*FINAL SUBMISSION DATE FOR THE 2006-2007 SCHOOL YEAR
PUBLICATION* (Due October 30, 2006 )

Explorations in Southeast Asian Studies: A Graduate Student
Journal of Southeast Asian Studies. Edited and published by
graduate students at the University of Hawai'i, Manoa

*NEW CRITERIA*
Explorations is expanding the range or our content to include
film, book, art and music reviews, translated poetry and short
stories, photo essays, and informal essays on fieldwork
experiences that would be helpful to a graduate student
audience, and reports or reviews of new or emerging research
tools and resources.

*WHAT:*
· Explorations showcases student research on Southeast Asia
from a diverse range of disciplinary perspectives
· Our journal is unique - we are a student-run journal of
Southeast Asian Studies, located in the Pacific region, and
produced for an international graduate student audience
· We are international - we welcome papers and reviews from
students outside Hawai'i as well as from UH and other Hawai'i
campuses
· We publish one issue per year, which is available in print
form as well as online
· Support comes from the Center for Southeast Asian Studies at
the University of Hawai'i

*HOW WE DO IT AND WHO WE ARE:*
· The journal is produced by graduate students in Southeast
Asian Studies and related disciplines, through a blind review
process, with a faculty advisor
· We actively seek new student editors interested in working
on the journal
· Editors work in teams considering and reviewing submissions
· We publish one issue per academic year.

*HOW TO CONTRIBUTE:*
· Submissions are considered on an ongoing basis and may be
submitted at any time
· Please submit your work in MS Word format (not PDF) to:
explore at hawaii.edu
· Submissions should conform to the Chicago Manual of Style
and be of adequate quality for publication (i.e., rough drafts
will not be considered)
· Consult our website for more details, and to see previous
issues of the journal:
http://www.hawaii.edu/cseas/pubs/explorations.html

*THE FINE PRINT: *Please note that all submissions are
expected neither to be under current review for another
publication, nor to have been previously published elsewhere.
The individual papers published in Explorations are not
necessarily representative of the views of the editors or the
publisher and responsibility for opinions expressed and
responsibility for factual accuracy of papers lies with the
individual authors.

Please direct inquiries to: explore at hawaii.edu

We look forward to hearing from you!
Anthony Medrano